Chisel recommendations

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I have just got a small Clarke lathe today and the chisels that came with it are useless and blunt, they just kick back or bounce off the wood, i want to try make some bowls so can anyone recommend a chisel to do so. thank you,

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Thanks Robin, just ordered the 1/2", hopefully be able to make somethings that sort of resemble bowls for presents, your work is excellent by the way, great videos, would love to build a lathe like that!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The blunt chisels are probably close to being the right grind angles,
so you can practice sharpening them - you'll need a bench grinder for this. Just maintain the angles but make them sharp - refinements can come later on. A book or two and a web search are likely to bring up some useful information on the subject. I made some chisels out of files and allen keys, much the same as I make knives.

Haven't turned for quite a while now though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Before you buy any more turning tools why not learn to sharpen the ones you already have. You will need to resharpen them very frequently anyway to make clean cuts on a lathe.If you are new to turning I would advise getting hold of a beginners book, the best in my opinion, being Keith Rowley's.This will give you a grounding on safely and effectively presenting the tool to the work. If you already know all this then sorry- not trying to patronise, just help. Cheers John

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Before you buy any more turning tools why not learn to sharpen the ones you already have. You will need to resharpen them very frequently anyway to make clean cuts on a lathe.If you are new to turning I would advise getting hold of a beginners book, the best in my opinion, being Keith Rowley's.This will give you a grounding on safely and effectively presenting the tool to the work. If you already know all this then sorry- not trying to patronise, just help. Cheers John

That was very good advice actually. your problems you described in the first post "they just kick back or bounce off the wood" do not sound like problems due to poor tools but poor sharpening and more likely presenting them to the wood at the wrong angle.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Just ordered a few books off Amazon, have been watching a load of videos and they get long strands coming off, my chisel bites in and stops the wood spinning or just takes off tiny pieces, from what i can see i dont have the right chisel, i only got a flat one, an angled one and a slightly curved one, will try sharpening them at college on the bench grinder as i dont have one, thanks everyone for your advice, i know its just practice but its frustrating! :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
inthewids said:
have been watching a load of videos and they get long strands coming off, my chisel bites in and stops the wood spinning or just takes off tiny pieces, from what i can see i dont have the right chisel, i only got a flat one, an angled one and a slightly curved one,

Have you got scrapers or gouges? To get shavings you probably need to use gouges, though scrapers are easier to start with. Also, you will not get long shavings when you start turning something as the workpiece will still, probably, have facets. And it depends on the wood - some give up shavings easier than others.

For tools, these are the real deal - not cheap but you get what you pay for:
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/

I teach kids to turn and tend to ignore the gouges and go with the scrapers (many of which are ground from old files). Don't worry about the shavings, worry about the shape your getting. As for the tool digging in and stopping the lathe turning, try experimenting with the angle of presentation to the work and the height of the tool rest.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have to say, I have taken to sharpen the woodturning chisels at work on the sanding disc of the belt sander! I work for a charity and they don't have a lot of spare cash, so I have to be a bit creative. I put the table right down, holding the handle in the right place so that, by putting my finger under the edge of the table, that gives me a consistent angle on the gouges. I have to do them so many times with my guys there that I don't polish them much any more, just clean the burrs with a round soft stone!

Found this site that could be of interest, showing a set up for sharpening lathe tools.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just another thought, both turning and sharpening tools are things that are quite difficult;t to learn from books or internet and so much easier if you can just see someone do it. Why not pop along to your local woodturning club, they will be very happy to see you, most meet once a month and you will pick up lots of tips for free. Find one here

http://www.woodturners.co.uk/

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Just another thought, both turning and sharpening tools are things that are quite difficult;t to learn from books or internet and so much easier if you can just see someone do it. Why not pop along to your local woodturning club, they will be very happy to see you, most meet once a month and you will pick up lots of tips for free. Find one here

http://www.woodturners.co.uk/

Now that is good advice.
Smart call Robin.

ATB

Ogri the trog

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Thanks again everyone. some great advice, i managed to make two small bowls this afternoon, experimented with angles etc, will post photos soon, nothing great but satisfying making something bowl like.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking forward to seeing the results fella, the wife is getting me an unwanted lathe from work so I`m looking forward to having a play soon.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Well here goes, dont laugh!!

1st attempt closest
2008_1206woodturnings0003.jpg

2nd attempt
2008_1206woodturnings0004.jpg

Cant get a smooth inside?
2008_1206woodturnings0006.jpg

Also made this yesterday as i was bored. Not finished yet.
2008_1206woodturnings0001.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Excellent first efforts - remember, the stuff you see at shows and so on has been done by people who've been doing it for years. I'm sure your first efforts are as good than theirs - if they had the nerve to show them.

Do you sand them while they are on the lathe? This will remove lots of the marks (Don't forget to remove the tool rest!) Try using a round ended scraper on the insides to get them smooth, preferably a narrow one.

As for the chair - fantastic - can't wait to see it finished. This is a really classy piece.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE