Chisel / Blunt tip Moras

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Has anyone used them? I'm thinking of getting one for blunt framing work on beehives....almost seems a waste of money though when I could just grind the tip off a cheap craftline.

Anyone have any experience of the electricians, chisel tip or High Q Safe?

Red

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Blunt framing" but for me even a cheap chisel is a better chisel than a knife used as a chisel.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its just splitting thin softwood already cut to size, shaving ends of pine, trimming joints etc to make up frames to fit inside beehives - no hammer required. You don't want a sharp point as it can cut into wood you are just running a split along. Hard to explain really.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I got a load of very nice indeedy long paring chisels a while ago (I suspect they were from a patternmakers tools as the place I bought them at does some house clearances) at my local secondhand shop. They are good for cleaning up housing joints and so on.
Anyway, for most joinery joints a decent chisel and hardpoint saw do the job for rough work.

I've seen the square box type beehives made from Western Red Ceder years ago (long before I worked as a carpenter admittedly) and the joints weren't hard to do, mostly just rebated ends and housing joints if I remember right.

Some were hives finger joints which would be a bit of a fiddle without woodworking machinery.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are dead on - there is nothing fancy involved - its more assembly than fabrication and a little "trim to fit". More just tidying up really.

Its enough of a challenge for a fumble fingered idiot like me though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE