Chicken-Of-The-Woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So many interlocking layers. I don't think it's abnormal just a different growth pattern to the ones that I see here. They are layered but more spread out, easier to pick off/out one span, iimmc ? Not quite so convoluted.

If your one is how Broch sees them too, then I think you'd best listen to him rather than any comment I might make about size. I get teaplate sized ones that are soft right to the stem, and even that's not very woody.
One of those is ample for a family meal. If they're left on the tree too long though they become heavy with water and the core really does harden up.

Different area, different trees, different water availablity ?

Interesting topic though :)

M

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So many interlocking layers. I don't think it's abnormal just a different growth pattern to the ones that I see here. They are layered but more spread out, easier to pick off/out one span, iimmc ? Not quite so convoluted.

If your one is how Broch sees them too, then I think you'd best listen to him rather than any comment I might make about size. I get teaplate sized ones that are soft right to the stem, and even that's not very woody.
One of those is ample for a family meal. If they're left on the tree too long though they become heavy with water and the core really does harden up.

Different area, different trees, different water availablity ?

Interesting topic though :)

M

Well , for comparison these are Two different COTW examples I've foraged over the years , different locations:-

cotw7.jpgcotw8.jpg

First was found on a Living Tree ( as the initial COTW i'm waiting for is - that is maybe why they 'stack'?? )

Second was taken from a Stump - more a single leaf sort of affair.

Maybe it has something to do with Tree vs Stumpage - there are certainly plentiful stacked examples on the FB UK Wild Food Larder page.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:)
See the bottom photograph ? sort of middle top right, and that's what I find around here.
They end up like the sulphur yellow ones, though not quite that colour, at the bottom of your second photo.
I haven't found them on stumps here, they're on growing trees. I do find oyster fungus on stumps though, and there's always the fomes and the polypores.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:)
See the bottom photograph ? sort of middle top right, and that's what I find around here.
They end up like the sulphur yellow ones, though not quite that colour, at the bottom of your second photo.
I haven't found them on stumps here, they're on growing trees. I do find oyster fungus on stumps though, and there's always the fomes and the polypores.

M

Hmmm , Maybe its a regional weather induce 'thang' ? I'm obviously in the South West , Broc is in that Place that's predominately Rocky and Wet and you are there in the bit on the Map with " Here be Monsters " written all over it. :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I've harvested some now - a decent amount but equally left the tree with an abundance also.

Suggestions on ways to preserve it?

Currently thinking I'll slice it , fry it gently and put in some Zip lock bags for the Freezer.

Also maybe try the Pickling of it again in some Kilner jars.

Don't think drying is worth it but maybe incorrect.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks fine to me too.
Even if it does go more orange, so long as it's not woody, it can still be very good eating.

I cook in butter before I freeze it. I found it can go rather dried out and freezer burnt otherwise.

M

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That looks fine to me too.
Even if it does go more orange, so long as it's not woody, it can still be very good eating.

I cook in butter before I freeze it. I found it can go rather dried out and freezer burnt otherwise.

M

Yeh, Geoff Dann says cook before freezing. I've never tried freezing it; I'll give it a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE