Chestnuts a bit white?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I gathered a pocket full of chestnuts on friday but I think the weather has taken its toll on them too. They're half brown, half white. Does this mean they're unripe? Will they still be ok to eat? :(

I've also planted my own chestnut trees this weekend too :D 3 ten foot saplings to beef out the small woodland at my parent's place. Might be a few years before I see a crop out of those though...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
both my local woods have dropped all the chestnuts and i didnt find an eaten amongst them they are all small and whitish. Anyone know why is it just down to a poor year?

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I found a few on Sunday that were not quite 'up to standard' but were still pretty good. The trees haven't dropped them all here yet. I'm hoping to find some more in the next day or two.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
We found a lone tree here the other day (was starting to think no one new what a chestnut was round here, I'm used to being virtually surrounded by the things :) ), but there was nothing worth picking.. all skinny shrivelled things, still half white. Not seen any in the shops yet which may suggest a bad year again, or just not quite time yet.. I think November ish is when they start getting them in. There are plenty of trees near my mums, but when we went to pick them last year they were all too small to bother with :( Will have to look at the weekend when we go down and see what they're like this year :)

*crosses fingers for bumper crop* :)

Rachael x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE