Cherry Wood Spoons

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton

Here are a couple of small cooking spoons that I have recently made. The handles and shoulders were turned on my pole lathe, and the bowls were hand finished. The cherry wood has been seasoning at the back of my garage for about 13 years (nearly forgot I had it), so the wood was quite hard to work. I cheated slightly by using a power planer and jigsaw to prepare the blanks.
Also shown is a tiny (6 inch) spurtle turned for the fun of it out of one of the offcuts of the spoon blanks.

Some other recent turnings here.
A citrus reamer in sycamore - this looked quite nice until I started chiselling the flutes.
A bottle stopper in spalted sycamore with a cork glued in.
And a lightpull in ash.

Thanks for looking.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lovely work there; the citrus reamer looks fine to me, haven't seen one of those for a very long time.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
They all look good to me mate!

Whats wrong with the reamer? Looks good to me.

Like my other half keeps telling me, if things are perfect when finished we may as well save time and get a machine made one from a shop.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Whats wrong with the reamer? Looks good to me.

The fluting is not very even, so in the picture it is showing its best side. I carved the flutes freehand with a chisel - I did consider trying to make a jig to use with my router, but it would have been a lot of work for only one citrus reamer! Also it wouldn't have seemed right somehow.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words everyone!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE