Cheese Glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Cheese Glue
The individual pieces for altar and door panels... should be stuck together with cheese glue, which is made in this way. Cut soft cheese into small pieces and wash it with hot water in a mortar with a pestle, repeatedly pouring water over it until it comes out clear. Thin the cheese by hand and put it into cold water until it becomes hard. Then it should be rubbed into very small pieces on a smooth wooden board with another piece of wood, and put back into the mortar and pounded carefully with the pestle, and water mixed with quicklime should be added until it becomes as thick as lees. When panels have been glued together with this glue, they stick together so well when they are dry that they cannot be separated by dampness or by heat.

Found on: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/wood.htm.

Has anyone ever heared of this?

Pappa

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Yep, been using and demonstrating the stuff for over 10 years now , :D
Mind you its been on the record since at least 800 bc :rolleyes:
A word of warning using quick lime takes some practice and caution becuase of its volatility.

It makes a very strong glue which is pretty waterproof but does tend to attract mold.

Heres an easier way and one that can easily be done with kids

So first get an adult to supervise :cool:

This makes qiute a lot but make buttons or game counters from the excess (its the first plastic!!}

You need

1. 1 pint skimmed milk
2. 6 tablespoons of vinegar
3. 1/4 cup of water
4. 1 tablespoon of baking powder (borax at a push)
5.Non Metalic pan (enameled is ok)

Take 1 pint of Skimmed milk add 6 tablespoons of vinegar and heat in a NON METALLIC pan (for best results) enamel is ideal. Heat whilst constantly stirring, when it starts to curdle remove from the heat, continue to stir until curdling stops.Put it aside a let be until all the curds have settled to the bottom. Strain off liquid through a cloth . get curds as dry as possible.
Add water (bit at a time) and baking powder and when bubbling stops glue is ready to use

:confused: :confused: The vinegar acts to curdle (seperate) the milk solids (casien) which becomes the main adhesive, the baking soda neutrlises any remaining acid and acts as a binder.

Any body who used to use the original cascamite was using basically the same stuff. ie a casien based glue :D

:cool: Looks like Espy found a link while I was typing it out from memory :( never mind a good exercise none the less

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
swamp donkey said:
:cool: Looks like Espy found a link while I was typing it out from memory :( never mind a good exercise none the less

(some of use are too lazy by far!)

Good point on the plastics front, too - ISTR something about using formalin or formaldehyde to cause the mass to crosslink, but I'll have to google for that process too... :)

Added - not quite what I was looking for, but interesting nonetheless - http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/milk-stone.htm

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
I ve made it in schools with kids , they love it . Firstly because its such basic materials and secondly because it is always stronger than PVA in destrution tests :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Cheese Glue! Am I hearing you right – glue, made from cheese? It’s not right!

Oh sorry that’s Cheese Cake - © Peter Kay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE