Cheese Candle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Cheese candle by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

No, it's not made of cheese, but rather the large quantity of wax that I collected after Christmas. As many will know, on the approach to Christmas, at various markets will be found diverse artisanal cheese sellers, all selling various cheeses encased in colourful waxes. I scrounged the cheese waxes from family Yuletide gatherings, and melted them down to make a candle. Unfortunately, the pretty coloured waxes merged into a not too lovely brown. I added some drops of pine and cedar oil to the melted wax, for an authentic bushcraft flavour, but, after lighting the candle, it seems I could have added far more essential oil.

Cheese candle 2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Sorry if it's a bit left field for the forum, but thanks for looking anyway!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Candle-making is still a noble pursuit. What? Tallow from the medieval times and earlier?
Pretend the green is camo. Nobody will notice where the flame is coming from.
I saved a pot-ful of candle stubs for the same purpose. Looks like a turd.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very neat :)

Best way to get scent into a candle like that is to soak the wick in the scented oil. Failing that, if you put the oils onto cotton pads, and put them and the candle in a sealed jar for a couple of weeks, the scent will be absorbed by the wax.

I have to admit that I have a bag load of the cheese wax myself.
It's amazing how much there is on those wee truckles.....and we've still got two of them in the fridge to be eaten yet.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love making candles and save old jars and tins to make them in to save having to use moulds. The vintage teacup candle is all the rage here. They sell for a bomb on our local farmers market stalls. Thought of doing it myself but not bothered so far but maybe tomorrow's charity shop hunt might turn up a nice teacup and saucer for a few pennies and I can start making next year's Xmas pressies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE