Cheep oak knife scales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gumuman

Jul 3, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Im just starting out making my own knifes and have been collecting wood to be used as handles but they need to season first. Looking on some sites the price for common (native English) wooden scales was crazy.

Randomly after letting my wife drag me round the local b&q I spotted some solid oak flooring samples at £3 a pop enough to make at least 8 sets of scales and the results are pretty good
ydasameb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Corso

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Nice to see the flooring used like this.A good idea very resourceful ,nice looking knife too (not too sure on the size of the lanyard hole though) .
Top job all the same

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its funny how it goes with wood. - I just stocked the fire with a beautiful horse chestnut burr no one wanted them! I'm about to rip up an old oak barn door (must be 100 years old - gone that lovely solver colour). It seems a shame but the bottom 6" has rotted away - so circular saw it is. I recall other times having bought wood for silly money. Supply and demand I suppose

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I really like working with oak, its such an attractive wood if you spend time on it. Suprised its not used more often as scales. I'd take it any day over expensive, exoctic stuff like cocobolo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE