Cheeky Mink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
My boy and I had a very close encounter with two Mink near Todbrook reservoir in Whaley Bridge a couple of days ago, and now it's our summer project to track them. Their spoor seems quite straightforward, but what about feeding habits, use of runs and access to water? Do they take their prey home, or eat out? How big is their territory? Any info appreciated.

N

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
They're normally never far from water, so territory is along a river bank rather than into any backing fields. Foodwise they'll eat anything - birds, fish, rabbits, etc.
If they're anything like my ferrets they can be active at any time of night or day.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Try setting up some mink rafts - wax panels that will capture their prints...

Clever! I was going to put some clean sand out, but the area where they are is heavily walked - lots of dog spoor that obscures a lot of everything else. Would you stash them on runs, or actually float them in the water?

N

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE