Check before you click.....Oh dear. Sorted.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I put an order in from Tesco and saw they had Chestnuts. Well 15 years without a Chestnut I was longing for a bowl of roasted nuts. I ordered 3 Kgs of nuts. Guess what showed up tonight.

20151201_172953.jpg
THREE, yes three Chestnuts. NOT 3 Kgs. Oh dear I should have double checked the thing said KG and not loose. Well so much for my big Chestnut roasting fest tonight.:eek::eek:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its one more than......never mind

At least someone picking your order had a laugh!

One....two...three. Pillock. Next item.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah the order pickers are not too bright, couple weeks back i added 1kg of root ginger to my online shopping and they delivered 1 piece of ginger costing 17pence, they had literally snapped a single 'finger' of ginger from a larger chunk so instead of having enough ginger for my week of stir fries i had enough for one stir fry

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I suppose it could've been worse, could've ordered 3kg of rice and got 3 grains.
I do sometimes wonder about the pickers, may be lack of training, maybe lack of schooling, but not always the pick of the bunch.
Do like roast chestnuts, and marron glace are pretty darn nice too.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I got caught out like that with Tesco on-line ordering because I hadn't noticed that some (most?) of the 'loose' veg can be ordered by weight or by number. There is a box you click on to chose whether, for example, its 1kg of tomatoes you want or just 1 tomato. That said, 13p for a chestnut does sound a bit steep .....

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When I took over my first headship of a very small village school I found every store cupboard full of toilet rolls. Apparently my predecessor had ordered one box of a gross (144) but got 144 boxes each containing one gross. Six years in post and I never had to buy toilet paper or tracing paper. The children also came up with imaginative uses for it!

Some of it I unloaded on another school who got a special delivery from the stores of one roll when they ordered a one gross box!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Its one more than......never mind

At least someone picking your order had a laugh!

One....two...three. Pillock. Next item.

:lmao: made me laugh. I actually wonder if the pickers see weird amounts and try to justify in their own minds the needs things like say 3 chestnuts?

According to the (previously) attached image - £0.38

That's nearly 13p a nut! I'm in the wrong game repairing computers!

Thanks. Yeah 13p for each nut I'm not sure whether to cook and savour them or put them in a safety deposit box as an investment for the future. :)

I got caught out like that with Tesco on-line ordering because I hadn't noticed that some (most?) of the 'loose' veg can be ordered by weight or by number. There is a box you click on to chose whether, for example, its 1kg of tomatoes you want or just 1 tomato. That said, 13p for a chestnut does sound a bit steep .....

I'm going to triple check before I click add to basket. Even the driver thought it was funny and went back to the van to see if the rest had spilled out. I think he was embarrassed and refunded my 38p.

Thanks for starting this thread. I still laugh at the time a good friend of mine ordered 10 sticks of organic celery, just to try it like...A box of 500 was delivered. :lmao:

Good grief I like celery, raw or in soups and stews but I think 500 is overkill.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Finally I got enough for a quick pan full of Chestnuts and some in reserve.

0115100949-00.jpg

After 15 years without any it was like Manna from Heaven.....well worth the wait. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ooh they look good. Do like roast chestnuts. Really nice done in a little ghee too. Yumm.
Have you had candied chestnuts? (Glace marron - excuse the spelling please).
In fact the only way I don't like them is when they get mixed in with Brussels sprouts, why ruin good food by mixing it with the unsavory parts of the Devils anatomy?)
Great food for a cold day in the woods, packed with slow release energy, tasty and make great handwarmers if you pop them in your pockets.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Marron Glace, no I haven't but thanks to you I looked it up and they sound tasty. I'm going to make marron glace with the few I have left over. Thanks for the tip.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I put an order in from Tesco and saw they had Chestnuts. Well 15 years without a Chestnut I was longing for a bowl of roasted nuts. I ordered 3 Kgs of nuts. Guess what showed up tonight.

attachment.php

THREE, yes three Chestnuts. NOT 3 Kgs. Oh dear I should have double checked the thing said KG and not loose. Well so much for my big Chestnut roasting fest tonight.:eek::eek:

I gotta ask, why did you go 15 years without them?

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I gotta ask, why did you go 15 years without them?

Oh that's an easy one. 10 years in Alaska followed by 5 years in North Carolina. Over there the only chestnuts I could find were some cooked shelled abomination sold in plastic bags which were as close to chestnuts as a McDonalds hamburger is to a T bone steak.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh that's an easy one. 10 years in Alaska followed by 5 years in North Carolina. Over there the only chestnuts I could find were some cooked shelled abomination sold in plastic bags which were as close to chestnuts as a McDonalds hamburger is to a T bone steak.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. The grocery stores here in Florida have them raw in bins this time of year. At least some of then do (including the commissary) Chestnuts, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, filberts, and of course, pecans. I didn't realize they weren't available in NC.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE