cheap stainless pot with hangers idea!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
after the discussion about stainless messtins(or not), i went about looking for a cheap alternative, as all the camp shops sell is either aluminium, or too expensive!

so i came across this!

Tesco's
(you heard right!)
stainless steel storage tins with plastic lid!
less than £2!! :biggthump

yeah! great how do you pick them up wize guy? :nana:
good point....so i came up with this..
potgrip from a trangia, it works but not perfect.

i had a look in the tool box thinking along the lines of making holes in the sides to add a wire handle, and found some fabric throw hangers,(to turn a bed blanket/cover into a working curtain)

they are like crocadile clips with hooks

when attatched to the rim of the stainless pot and wire or chain is added, the pot can be hung (full with water) like a billy can over a fire. and can also be picked up in the same way!

the hooks are of an unknown metal, but next time i go to town i will look for some s.steel clips in an electronics shop and some s.steel chain to go with them!

remember because there are no holes made the plastic lid still works,

there are two smaller pots also with lids which will fit inside whcih i shall get next visit!

cool idea? :super:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
the lid on those seems a bit better than mine, though the plastic ones on mine are pretty much air-tight as on tupperware, which is why i didn't want to start putting holes in the pot.

the size of mine would allow you to sit it straight onto embers without fear of spilling the contents.

aw, i still like the fixed handle idea.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Alternatively you could try a stainless painters can - the kind that you pour the paint in from the tin. Mine is about 2 litres, has a bail handle, is really strong and cost me about 6 quid from a DIY shop - I think it was Homebase. Only drawback is the lack of a lid, but I found an aluminium one from another set that fitted fine.

George

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Only drawback is the lack of a lid, but I found an aluminium one from another set that fitted fine.
You can always improvise one in the field with a bit of tin foil.... that what i do with my crusader cup ;-)

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE