Cheap Skinner

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I'm looking for a cheap skinning knife for small game (pigeons, squirrel etc). I'm quite tempted by the Crazy River Mini Skinner which Knife Bargains have on offer at the moment (http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Crazy_River_Fixed_Blade_-_Italian_Olive_Wood_Scales.html). With olive wood scales for £12.95, it seems a decent price.

On the other hand, I also like the look of both the Smith & Wesson skinner with a Micarta handle and leather sheath for £27.95 and the Buck Paklite Stainless Steel Skeleton Skinner Knife (£24.95).

Does anyone have any experience with any of these skinners or is able to offer any advice?

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
any knife will do mate it's down to your skills not the knife .dont spend loads its not needed i used the back edge of an old hacksaw blade once small and nimble is all you need

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have one of those Crazy River skinners, in the olive burr handle, and for the money it is an excellent little knife. Holds a decent edge too. Obviously not a top-end brand and therefore the finish lacks a little of what you might expect if you paid more, but it's £13 so you can't really argue.

I did a thread about them a while back. Hang on...

Here you go :)

Personally, I'd say go for it.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Thanks Harvestman - always useful to have advice from someone with firsthand experience. As you say, at that price I guess I can't go too far wrong.

Did you manage to successfully rig up a necker cord?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Did you manage to successfully rig up a necker cord?

Dead easy. I was being a bit dense in that thread. I simply put a cord through the belt loop. The knife is now my standard necker and comes with me on my longer trips as a knife I can carry discretely without a big and easily visible knife.

I've seen a few knives, and I think that so long as you don't abuse it too much and keep a decent edge, ultimately all knives do the same job - cutting things. This little skinner has enough blade to be versatile although you won't be batonning with it. For the price it is perfectly decent, although if you do get one I'd be interested in your own opinion.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The only thing I will say is for doing rabbit, squiggles and pigeon you really want a fairly flexible and thin blade.
The saddle is a prime cut and you have to work around the breast bones of pigeon to get a decent fillet.

Disjoint the sockets to remove the legs. I used to prep a dozen or so 6 days a week.

Skinning knifes with acute, wide blades are for basically, large game and nothing more than removing hides..

Just my HO :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What he said. For skinning small game, you want a slim short blade. If you really want to be hygenic, synthetic handle, stainless blade and plastic sheath. Bung the lot in the dishwasher to clean it - wood and leather absorb blood and gunk.

A slim blade (eff) opinel in stainless is ideal but wouldn't pass game handling standards because of the wood - but okay for personal use

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks guys. I should add that I have not used the Crazy River as a skinner in the sense of actually skinning anything, just as a general purpose necker, so The Big Lebowski & British Red's comments are very useful.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have no doubt its a great knife, but deer and squirrel (also known at tree rat for a reason) have different profiles.
The saddle/loin of a rabbit is pinky length and width at best, squiggle, half that :p

My tool of choice at the time was near similar to this, just the blade was ground out to about half the depth.
15vegx.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE