Cheap sharpening system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Some time ago I picked up a cheap sharpening system from China. IT Was Rubbish. I got my money back but was left with a set of flat plates now devoid of any grit. With a bit of wet and dry they have found a new life.
They come with a two piece clamp having 4 holes to allow the guide to work at different angles. It also had a cheap plastic handle but I mounted then on a frame I knocked up as I proof of concept but work good enough as is. This clamps the blade in pace but can be turned over with out upsetting the sharpening angle. The original plates are now used with a bit of wet and dry paper held in place with double sided tape.

sharp1.jpgsharp3.jpgsharp2.jpg

Might not be the best in the world but does give some one with no skill a chance of a sharp blade.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Carving with both adzes and crooked knives, the sandpapers are the system of choice for me.
I go no further than 1500 grit then hone on some sort of a strop (box card, filing card, etc) with CrOx/AlOx.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For all the more conventional "western" gouges and carving tools, I agree = water stones are a real pleasure to use. I have found that 4K then honing is fine.

The carving tools of the Pacific Northwest (adzes and crooked knives) can't be maintained on waterstones. I tried with the little slip stones, too.
That's one reason that I suggested the fine sandpapers. The abrasive must travel and the surfaces are all curved, swept, in at least one axis.
A Stubai carver's adze is a 7/75. The perfect mandrel for the sand papers? A tennis ball.
Another justification is cost. The papers are cheap and as fresh as you might care to use.

Maybe another BC justification is weight. The base, 4 x 1/2 sheets of sandpapers, a strop card and away you go.
Just imagine how easily you can sustain your spoon carving in the fire light with a simple sandpaper kit.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Kim has and uses waterstones and does a very good job. I like the idea of not worrying too much about the angles. Plus this cost way less than one side of her stones. No way am I saying I can match her edges but I can and do get a very good edge easy and cheaply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE