Cheap pump required.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I need a pump for permanent installation, just needs to deal with water.

However, it needs to pull the water from about 7ft down. Be turned on and off manually - I may be able to rig things so that the intake doesn't drain - but it might have to cope with running dry now and then. As I'll be turning on and off manually, manual priming could be possible.

Mains electric powered.

Intake hose is garden-hose-sized.

Volume of water - a few hundred litres at a time.

It is the intake head that is the difficult bit. Not had any luck researching for anything that can cope with that.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It has a two stage filter. One on the end of the intake pipe (if you are just sucking up standing water) - this will screen out larger grit. You can see the secondary filter on the right in the top photo. Its use cleanable and is fairly fine.

I suck up well water and use it to pressurise water from IBC tanks for a sprinkler.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Clarke Tam 105.
Will run dry, cope with a little bit of dirt, and has more than enough lift. A non return valve of the bottom of the pickup pipe would help a lot. It needs to be primed. A goose neck on the inlet would help some too. A couple of foot of water going into the pump would over come any small air pockets in the initial start up.
Also very robust, and serviceable.

http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Pump_-_Tam_105

Prices vary. Should be available for no more than £70. £60 if you look hard enough.
There are plenty of similar pumps on the market for less or similar money. Keep an eye out on Ebay. I had a brand new Tam style pump for £30, old, but unused. It would have been £120 new. They do turn up.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Would a JCB 'sump pump' work ? not sure what size the pumped size hose connection is ( about an inch ) but it has a float switch, was used once for a koi carp pool but it was too powerfull.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a sump pump but it really needs to be immersed and I don't think it has the lift required.

This is to drain an old (very large) concrete pond, so we can use the space for something else. My original plan of drilling holes in the bottom has failed because we are on clay. There is a pipe leading to the lowest point in the pond and I can get a hose down that.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Faced with a task such as you describe I'd be tempted to hire a big dirty-water pump and do it easily and quickly. You can hire a powerful one that'll shift a lot of very dirty water for not much dosh.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a sump pump but it really needs to be immersed and I don't think it has the lift required.

Its not lift that matters so much with a sump pump Mrcharly its "head" - because the sump pump sits on the bottom (or near it). Head is the distance above the pump that it can send the water. Even a cheap sump pump can pump water several metres above itself

The one shown here for example has a head of 6m - about 20'

http://www.anchorpumps.com/flotec-f...lPEzfCrCQm2zWlaRQIavnUNxaroIyQoIb8aAt398P8HAQ

It also has a float switch so it will come on automatically when your pond fills - it can take 6mm grit and takes 1 1/4" pipe so much quicker than garden hose. Should do the job okay - and under 50 notes too. You can see from the pictures it doesn't need to be fully immersed :)

HTH?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Aye, I know the difference between head and lift.

For various reasons I can't get a pump down into the pond, it has to sit at the top. Hence the need for at least a 7ft lift.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE