Cheap new craft for beginner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Maybe you should stick to making pots, Hot Pots that is, Lancashire Hotpots, I have never before seen anyone asking what should I do, have a go at them all, start of with the cheapest buy in, a piece of wood and a penknife and whittle( I used to live in whittle-le-woods) but I digress. You will find the craft that interests you, and soon discount the ones that dont, join some clubs try things out, a lot of good clubs welcome new joiners and gives them a chance to show off, whether its woodworking with a lathe or an archery club, everyone likes to share their skills, its also the cheapest way to try things out as you can use their equipment etc, when you find something you like make sure you research it and try to obtain the knowledge so you can talk on the same level as the experts, and with the tinternet its the lowest cost educational system in the world, seek advice on here or on forums specific to your chosen craft.And one final point dont expect to be ultra successful at first, you learn by making mistakes, so make em.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is there anything wrong with asking for ideas? I'm not asking for you to tell me what to do just ideas. Afterall there's some very creative ppl on here into a lot of crafts.

Some good ideas already but still open to suggestions.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is there anything wrong with asking for ideas? I'm not asking for you to tell me what to do just ideas. Afterall there's some very creative ppl on here into a lot of crafts.

Did you check out that link ?

Some quite cool crafts, that do not need a huge investment.
( Organ building is maybe not one if them !)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK

No problems with this at all I've found reading the replies really interesting and picked up some ideas myself. Keep them coming I'm sure others will have found this useful to.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm interested in pyrography. Also that craft where you score a pattern in wood then rub something dark into the marks before putting oil on it to seal.

The thing that I'm not sure about, where do you guys get your wood from?

I'm guessing for carving, pyrography and kolrosing it's best to use decent wood from certain types of wood. I've got no contacts to get anything like this, not even sure where to buy anything but the cheap building wood. It appears to me that ppl into wood based crafts seem to have decent sources of wood plus variety of types.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
How the hang can they be endangered ???
I do 34 of those supposedly endangered crafts, and I know dozens of people doing all of those.

M
My thoughts exactly when I found it. But it's a good reference list which is why I've posted it. Like you, I've dabbled in a few of the crafts on that in the past, (although you may well have more than 'dabbled') my latest venture is about to begin as I have recently bought on old second-hand lathe :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm interested in pyrography. Also that craft where you score a pattern in wood then rub something dark into the marks before putting oil on it to seal.

The thing that I'm not sure about, where do you guys get your wood from?

I'm guessing for carving, pyrography and kolrosing it's best to use decent wood from certain types of wood. I've got no contacts to get anything like this, not even sure where to buy anything but the cheap building wood. It appears to me that ppl into wood based crafts seem to have decent sources of wood plus variety of types.

They might be simply pine, but they're sound and will take being reworked and decorated really well.
The Works, The Range, and....I can't mind the name just now, the big hobby craft store.....anyway, they all sell wooden pieces. From mini boxes, to birdhouses, small chests of drawers to stationery holders; for instance
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/craft-lover/wooden-memories-box/5052089134638
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/craft-storage/rectangular-wooden-box/5052089141339
https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/craft-storage/large-hexagonal-wooden-box/5052089141360

Good for pyrography, good for refinishing and carving detail, good for kolrosing, and all really cheap to buy, so buying just to practice and footer around with is very do-able.
Thing is too, they're actually useful too, and make nice gifts when done up.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive been sorting out and found a knitting nancy....a great way of knitting for those, who like me, cannot knit or crochet...

I have seen a fantastic jumper made that way.

If the OP wants it they can start a conversation

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE