Cheap, neat little alcohol cookset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Having spotted this http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2317.html
the other day, while ordering something else, I thought I'd check out what it was like by spending an extra tenner. It looked from that picture very much like the Primus 91 ( Purple Flame ) cookset, which I've rather fancied but can't find around anymore.

Having recieved it and given it a quick try out I rather like it.

It's really quite compact, packed up it's about 18cm diameter and 6cm tall set up using the larger pan and lid 13cm tall, eg set up it's smaller than the standard Trangia is packed. Whole set I'd estimate weights around the 400g mark.

The pans hold as a realistic boiling capacity about 0.5lt and 0.7lt I didn't time it but from initail priming to rolling boil 0.5lt of water must have been just over 10 mins, in around 15C ambient temperature with a slight breeze and sitting on a heat sapping paving slap.

Not exactly a PurpleFlame clone, it's smaller for a start, the burner sits on the ground and would probably benefit from sitting on a corrugated cardboard disk to insulate it from the ground.

Few frills but it does it job as well as most other aluminium meths cooksets do, throw in a small drinking vessel and it'll make a nice little light(ish) weight personal system. Alternatively leave one of the pans behind and swap the burner for a popcan stove and you've got something that'll be around the weight of a Mini Trangia for £10 plus P&P though possible not as durable.

Just for the record, I'm not affiliated to the maker of seller in any way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE