Cheap Meths Substitute?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Hi Guys,

Used up the last of my meths last night making a brew on a new trianga burner, just testing it to make sure it worked and not a problem. I normally buy it in bulk from Ebay and have done so for a few years now. I was on earlier and spotted this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRE-P...ffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

5 liters of alcohol for £7, although its Isopropanol and not meths.

I don't normally use alcohol burners so just a quick question, would this work as well as meths? It would be a big saving if it did.

Thanks'

Tonyuk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny bit of synchronicity there :D
We bought that stuff earlier this week from that seller. It arrived really promptly and we were emailed before delivery and advised of a timed delivery slot….and it was spot on too :cool:

Not sure how it works in the wee stoves, but happy to recommend the seller, his goods and his service.

M

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Good for putting into your car washer bottle, just a touch in with your water will stop it freezing and you can de-ice your windows that way from the comfort of your car, sorry, off topic :(

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Meths is just over £6 for 2 liters in Toolstation if it helps? It's where I get mine (as well as a good source for cheap tools - check out their blades for buck saws!)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Meths is just over £6 for 2 liters in Toolstation if it helps? It's where I get mine (as well as a good source for cheap tools - check out their blades for buck saws!)

Blimey, £3.75 for 500ml in my local place.....no chance i'm paying that

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for letting me know, theres a wholesaler near me that apparently has it in, i'll pop along there too and check the price. On another note has anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fuel4-5l-bio-ethanol-spirit-p284704

It seems to get good reviews and only £10 for 5L

Tonyuk

I've been using that very stuff for over a year now with no problems - and no smell at all! I think it's fine stuff and would never go back to stinky meths even at a good price.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've been using that very stuff for over a year now with no problems - and no smell at all! I think it's fine stuff and would never go back to stinky meths even at a good price.

Excellent thanks for the info, just picked one up, i'll be good for at least a year now.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE