cheap fishing gear

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Heh all just ben checking out this site was looking at the handy reel and the NATO fishing set, anyone got any advice which to go for. Im no angler just wanted something to chuck in my bag to supplement my dinner :) . tried Hobo fishing with a can and a line wrapped round it but never had much luck....

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
the handy reel looks nice infact i might buy one myself, im just wondering if its legal to fish with a hand reel in england
leon

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Probably not without a license... But if you had to, ie in a survival situation, its probably a good idea to have a decent piece of kit to do it with. I think the handy reel looks good to, cheap! :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The Ready Reel looks a useful piece of kit. I've seen similar things used for both sea and freshwater fishing and they do the job well. The NATO fishing kit is not actually that much good IMHO. As an angler I was given one once and couldn't find anything in it that I had any confidence in being able to feed myself with.
I prefer to carry a few loose, eyed hooks in different sizes, two different breaking strain lines (on the same spool) a couple of little jigs and spinners and a handful of weights (split shot and small ledger weights) With this kit I'm pretty sure I could stand a pretty good chance of rustling up a meal from most waters that contained edible fish.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers for your advice, I just carry a few hooks. weights and line at the moment as well. Seems like a good idea to have something you can really rely on. Have to get a handy reel when the gods of finance bless me again :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE