Cheap Firepistons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just stumbled on these by accident - while looking at info on Kites.

http://www.cochranes.co.uk

(Go to Secondary School and Further Education, then scrolldown to Mathematics, General Science and Technology, and click on 'Hyman Fire Piston').

These are designed for use in schools and physics classes to demonstrate the principle - however the best bit is that it is a clear firepiston, for around 30 pounds. The size looks like its probably about 10-12 inches long - but its difficult to tell from the picture.

If I had any spare cash I'd probably go and buy one just to see what its like - in the meantime I might see if there is anywhere else selling them under this 'use' banner for less...

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Bird scaring kites! Well I know what they're for - to keep a covey on the ground whilst you walk a net over them. Now I need a really big net and a lot of partridges.....

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Can you let me know what they're like to use? and what its dimensions are? I'm tempted to get one to add to my fire-starting methods collection, but only if its small enough to be practical to carry about in a medium kitbag. Otherwise I might use the tools and resources at my parent's this Christmas to try and make one for myself...

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
fire pistons are a fantastic bit of kit as jeff says his are awesome, ive a bufalo horn one and have just ordered one of these to try cheap as so you never know, get one you wont regret it :wink:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Jeff wagners your man :wink: , i think they start at 35 quid for the do-it-yourself one and I think Geoff from Natural Pathways was going to start selling them :?: but for the cocobolo and buffalo horn your looking at a few more pennies but they are a quality item.... :biggthump

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My cheapy fire piston arrived today. Good service from the supplier. However the piston itself is poor. The plunger is very uncomfortable to use.

I would recommend adding a few pounds and following PWs link to a decent one. Im alittle disappointed with mine.

Paganwolf said:
Jeff wagners your man :wink: , i think they start at 35 quid for the do-it-yourself one and I think Geoff from Natural Pathways was going to start selling them :?: but for the cocobolo and buffalo horn your looking at a few more pennies but they are a quality item.... :biggthump
Thanks for that Mr. PaganWolf. To those who have not attempted to construct one, the difficulties in making a traditional fire piston are unfortunately not apparent. There is a bit more to it than simply drilling a hole in a piece of wood. I apologize for the high prices however they reflect the amount of work involved. FYI - Quality cutlery is a weakness of mine. From the photos I've seen on this site a trade would be viewed quite favorably :wink:

Jeff

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just received a perspec fire piston through the post, but not the one I linked to before - this one was from a guy in Canada:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~adude/tinderflash.htm

And is particularly lovely - it cost around 20 pounds including postage, took just over a week to get here, and the guy even included some tinder fungus in the package to get me started! :eek:): He accepts Paypal for postage, which makes paying for the item in dollars a lot easier.

Really nice solid design - I can't recommend these enough, especially at that price!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Tinder cavity is 4mm diameter and 6mm deep - which holds a nice lump of tinder fungus or charcloth by the look of things - I'll comment more once I've used it a bit in anger :)

Jul 19, 2010
UK
Hi there. I'm new to this forum - in fact I did a google search for the Hyman Fire Piston, and found this site. I am happy to know that my dad's invention is still getting a mention somewhere.

I grew up around his stuff and many shapes and sizes of fire pistons. He finally finished the prototype and got it marketed a few years before he passed away. The original idea comes in the form of bamboo used by tribes in Borneo. My dad showed his piston to Ray Mears once, who - being fascinated by making fire - had not heard of this method before.

Well, I hope you find it a joy to use!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE