Cheap and good knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I found these knives from Mora in a wholesalers catalogue and ordered them straightaway:
16.jpg

They have the usual excellent blades, high-carbon with the black one, the other stainlesssteel.
The handles are a tacky plastic, with bolster and butt of a harder variety.
Sheats are simple plastic with a drainhole at the tip, the olive one has a leather-loop.
Finish was excellent, the one exception being the spine of the black one, which was left raw:
16-2.jpg

Nothing which couldnt be brought to an acceptable level with 15min of work with a file and a buffingwheel!
Both were sharp enough to shave right out of the box and best of all is the price: €13,- for the black one, €24,- the olive one.
With these prices the carbonbladed one is a fantastic bargain. The olive one will have its handle removed and the big but thin blade will be made in a bushcraft knife, complete with brass bolster and handle of old olivewood.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I found these knives for about £6 in a DIY shop the other day. They say fiskars and have hollow handles which you can take the butt off of. I wonder if they'd be worth buying to play with?
Trouble is I already have 3 knives in the post.....

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice, I've been thinking of buying those for a while...
d'you know what kind of tangs they have?
The belt loop on the black-handled knife's sheath looks kinda weak to me... is it?

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
I also see that plastic loop as a weak point. That's the same on the green "SWAK" knife from Mora, my brother broke it after some days, and mine is crooked. Gaffer tape saved the plastic sheath for now. I would advise making a custom leather sheath...

Here you can see the SWAK (my picture, taken right after I bought it), it's the one closer to you. The plastic thing that should be attached to the belt is a joke...
frosts_2.jpg

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Draven said:
Nice, I've been thinking of buying those for a while...
d'you know what kind of tangs they have?
The belt loop on the black-handled knife's sheath looks kinda weak to me... is it?

I think its a simple sticktang, as usual with Mora.
The beltloop is not the most substantial and will only fit thin belts anyway. I will probably drill two holes in the top of the sheat and put a rope through, creating the typical Puukko-style belt loop.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
on the subject of cheap good knives i dont think anyone has mentioned the frosts clipper
leon

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
You can see my friend's green mora clipper on the picture I posted. I like the clipper sheath more, but the knife itself is missing the hole for a cord (and that saved my knife from loosing several times). I would like to have a combination of a clipper sheath and SWAK knife...

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Daniel_sk said:
You can see my friend's green mora clipper on the picture I posted. I like the clipper sheath more, but the knife itself is missing the hole for a cord (and that saved my knife from loosing several times). I would like to have a combination of a clipper sheath and SWAK knife...
would you be able to drill a lanyard hole
leon

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got a Mora Clipper. It's a great knife and never ceases to impress me. Mora knives just go to show you that a person doesn't necessarily need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a good quality, well tempered blade.

Adam

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
addyb said:
I've got a Mora Clipper. It's a great knife and never ceases to impress me. Mora knives just go to show you that a person doesn't necessarily need to spend hundreds of dollars to get a good quality, well tempered blade.

Adam
exactly
leon

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I have the model before the clipper (without rubberised handle in pic), got issued it on a fundamental BC course years ago, managed to break my first one carving a applewood spoon. Told woodlore and they sent me a new one! Nice folks, still my second one has lasted me about six years. Recenlty got a Tregor PTX to replace it, only for aesthetics tho. The Mora is probably the most servicable knife ever produced, and certainly the best value for money!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Those black rubberised handles might look nasty but they are comfy on the hands.

work threw out a kitchen knife because its blade was ground down and I grabbed it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The green gummi rubber handled one is a Mora 2000. I saw one in the flesh for the first time just the other day, which is a bit wierd as I thought I would have seen one a long time before!! I've not used it to cut anything as it is a friends knife, but I'm not to sure about it. I may have to have a loan of it for a weekend to see how it functions. As I recall, it is stainless with a secondary bevel?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE