Charging a mobility Scooter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
Following on from the thread on how to charge your phone I have an extension to the question. This may be a long shot, but I'd thought I'd ask seeing as you lot are generally quite helpful ;)

I have an electrically powered mobility scooter as I have trouble walking much of a distance these days (due to illness). Does anybody have ideas on how to charge the thing up when away from the plugs at home? It has 2 x 75ah lead acid batteries. I have an inverter for the car so I can charge most things but as it's so powerful it would need to be connected directly to the car battery (rather than cig socket) which is hard to have set up while driving plus it doesn't fit in the car so would have to be in the trailer. Not to mention it would take hours to charge up (usually overnight).

Not sure about solar panels as don't have a clue how to set it all up and unreliable?

Any easily applied ideas would be much appreciated. TIA

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I think spare batteries in the car might be the most practical solution. or change to a petrol powered mode of transport :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Not that difficult. You would need a split charger relay from the alternator - battery to a charge controller to recharge the scooter on the trailer. I would add a seperate heavy duty cable from car to trailer. 100w solar panel on a motorised tracking mount for when not running the car engine. Just look at most camper van conversions running an extra 110ah batteries. For the bigger load you will need to beef up the system. Don't skimp on the quality and diameter load rating of your cables. Not the cheapest option but beats not getting out there.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
Not that difficult. You would need a split charger relay from the alternator - battery to a charge controller to recharge the scooter on the trailer. I would add a seperate heavy duty cable from car to trailer. 100w solar panel on a motorised tracking mount for when not running the car engine. Just look at most camper van conversions running an extra 110ah batteries. For the bigger load you will need to beef up the system. Don't skimp on the quality and diameter load rating of your cables. Not the cheapest option but beats not getting out there.

Easy for you to say! I don't understand half of what you just said haha. Lots of research (once my brain is in gear!) and plenty of saving up probably required.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
If you need to use a trailer to carry the scooter, would not a small quad bike be a better option for off road.

I did consider that and would be easy to refuel but they are noisy and harder to drive (being ill) and mostly illegal unless on private land so it's out really :(

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Best source for big cable is a shop that sells electrical welding (stick/MIG/TIG) supplies.
Places I've used have cable on spools to make up the lengths you need.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Saw someone at the bushcraft show, they had a small trailer on the mobility scooter and on the trailer a small petrol? generator. They had a partner to take it off the trailer and get it running.

Depends where you want to go, an event like the bushcraft show where its cut grass and fairly level the scooter will be ok. But other events its wouldn't be suitable to get you where you need to go.

rabbitrex

Nov 1, 2011
Norfolk
Saw someone at the bushcraft show, they had a small trailer on the mobility scooter and on the trailer a small petrol? generator. They had a partner to take it off the trailer and get it running.

Depends where you want to go, an event like the bushcraft show where its cut grass and fairly level the scooter will be ok. But other events its wouldn't be suitable to get you where you need to go.

I'm looking at quite a light generator and it says it's 58dB from a distance of 7m. Not really sure how loud that is. Would you object to that if you were camped next to me?

It's quite good off road so that's not really an issue.

Thanks for all your replies people, if I can get this problem sorted, nothing will stop me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE