Charcloth making time in the woods

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had run out of charcloth for my "Dragons Breath" flint and steel kits and my firelighting demos ... so most of today was spent in the woods turning 12 cotton teatowels into the black stuff... lots of time to read, have lunch, practice axe throwing and to chill as the fire did the work :)
P9270002.jpg
P9270003.jpg
P9270004.jpg
P9270005.jpg
P9270006.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Have a tin, 5" x 4" x 1 1/2" deep and a bag of 200 cotton balls... I know I need to punch a hole in the top of the tin, but how do you know when it's done?

I read in one place its when smoke comes out of the hole and in another place that its when a flame comes out of the hole.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I go by when the smoke or flame die down to a trickle - you get masses of smoke or a jet engine flame to start with as the volatile gasses and steam are blown off ... once they are gone the cotton is reduced to pure carbon (ish) black as a rugby referees heart and ready to go!
Be sure to seal the hole (I turn my tins upside down in loose damp soil) to let the char cool - or it could suck in oxygen and just burn away!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks John, I shall give it a go :)

I have an old tobacco tin and a torn t-shirt to make some charcloth with at the same time, but very keen on the cotton balls... making a range of firestarting stuff for when my lad comes with me camping again.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Thanks John, I shall give it a go :)

I have an old tobacco tin and a torn t-shirt to make some charcloth with at the same time, but very keen on the cotton balls... making a range of firestarting stuff for when my lad comes with me camping again.
Take the rubber seal out of your baccy tin first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE