Char Cloth - How to make it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Don't know if this will be of interest, no doubt to some of the more experienced hands this is sucking on eggs, but for the less experienced members here goes:

My tin of choice, big enough to do the job, and has a sealable lid, place a roll of cotton material in the tin (I used an old pillow case) and put the lid on

Tin.JPG

Punch a small hole in the lid, approx 1/4 inch

Hole%20in%20Lid.JPG

Fire up your Trangia and place the tin on the fire. of course you could put the tin in your camp fire.

Trangia%20Fired%20Up.JPG

Leave the tin on the fire until a flame erupts from the hole in the lid, then place a small stick into the hole, the stick makes the tin airtight and prevents further combustion taking place.

Tin%20with%20stick%20plug.JPG

When the tin is cool, pop the lid off and you should have a roll of charcloth.

Char%20Cloth%20in%20Tin.JPG

Carefully remove the cloth from the tin, it should look something like this, there is enough here to last me months.

Char%20Cloth.JPG

And that's about all there is to it, now to light a fire using the char cloth

Tools of the trade, the charcloth is kept in the sealable plastic bag, I keep my flint, steel and cloth in a small pouch.

Tools.JPG

Prepare your tinder bundle, I used a birch bark roll containing birch bark scrapings

Tinder%20Bundle.JPG

Tear off a strip of cloth about 2 to 3 inches long and fold it up, place this on top of the flint right next to the edge.

Cloth%20on%20Flint.JPG

Strike the flint with the steel, a spark will land on the cloth and it will start to glow, encourage the ember to grow with gentle blowing and place it into your tinder bundle.

Ignited.JPG

Keep blowing the ember and it will grow and catch the birch scrapings alight, after a few seconds.............

Cloth%20in%20tinder.JPG

...........hey presto we have fire, place this under your kindling (which you have already prepared of course), and build your fire in the normal manner.

We%20Have%20Fire.JPG

For info, It took less than 20 seconds from striking the steel on the flint to achieve flame from the resulting ember.

No doubt some of you will have a different way of going about this, but i find this works for me.

Reactions: tomtom

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Thank you - neat and very helpful. I have just got a flint and steel, and your tutorial is just what I need for a project to practise over the holiday! :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Tony said:
Good stuff mate :You_Rock_

Thanks Tony, only problem is i can't get the images to show, even though they are placed in IMG tags, all i get is the dappy web addy - any ideas?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thta's better, problem sorted, it would appear i cannot hot link from within a seperate directory on my free webspace - lesson learned, thanks for the offer of help TomTom - much appreciated

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Very nice tutorial, thanks for sharing your skills.

One thought that I had and it may be nothing where you live, but placing your char cloth in a plastic bag, I'm wondering if condensation might form under certain conditions, ruining your char cloth. The reason I ask is that I had used a method very similar to yours and placed my char in a plastic bag and sealed it up for storage. A couple of months later, I went to get some char out for some tinder bundles I was making up and condensation had formed in the bag and the char cloth was ruined. It was in a dry place and in the dark most of the time, so I couldn't figure it out. Once I started placing my char into another tin, I didn't have the problem again.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
RovingArcher said:
Very nice tutorial, thanks for sharing your skills.

One thought that I had and it may be nothing where you live, but placing your char cloth in a plastic bag, I'm wondering if condensation might form under certain conditions, ruining your char cloth. The reason I ask is that I had used a method very similar to yours and placed my char in a plastic bag and sealed it up for storage. A couple of months later, I went to get some char out for some tinder bundles I was making up and condensation had formed in the bag and the char cloth was ruined. It was in a dry place and in the dark most of the time, so I couldn't figure it out. Once I started placing my char into another tin, I didn't have the problem again.

I tend to take want i think i will need, plus a bit xtra and leave the rest at home, when i store it i leave the bag open slightly so moisture can escape, i also keep it in the airing cupboard, never had a problem with it getting moist again tbh

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Great Tutorial Maver, thanks!

For me, I have good news and bad news.......

The good? - i have an almost empty golden syrup tin in the cupboard :D

the bad? - swmbo will kill me on xmas day when i have a go :eek:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
g4ghb said:
Great Tutorial Maver, thanks!

For me, I have good news and bad news.......

The good? - i have an almost empty golden syrup tin in the cupboard :D

the bad? - swmbo will kill me on xmas day when i have a go :eek:

Good news - Golden Syrup sandwiches for lunch tomorrow then :D

Bad News - You will stink the house out on Xmas day, as cotton stinks to high heaven when charred and then swmbo will kill you :lmao: still chared cotton smells better than the after effects of sprouts & parsnips :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Batfink said:
Thats a damn fine tutorial - thanks for that!

EDIT: Just a thought, could you add a note saying what sort of cloth and how tightly you wrap it in the tin in the first place?

It's just a plain old cotton pillowcase that i cut into single sheets ie one pillowcase = two sheets, then folded them in half length ways and rolled up into a loose roll, don't roll it too tight otherwise it won't burn - hope this helps.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Thanks for the support Maver! - btw i've given swmbo your mail address just in case i need backup ;)

maver said:
Good news - Golden Syrup sandwiches for lunch tomorrow then :D

Bad News - You will stink the house out on Xmas day, as cotton stinks to high heaven when charred and then swmbo will kill you :lmao: still chared cotton smells better than the after effects of sprouts & parsnips :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
That is a very nice tutorial Maver. I am delighted to see the "tube tinder" idea working well there. For those in touch with civilization you can do exactly the same with newspaper, and for everyone else you can even do it with a dry leaf.

Just a thought Maver. Your tin was only black at the bottom and some of the cloth looked slightly under cooked. It can help to get more even charing to rotate the tin about until no more smoke comes out which ever way up it is.

And just a thought on the stick in the hole. All the time gases are coming off there is no fear of significant air getting in, or for some time after as well. My experience suggests the stick is not needed. I have even made char with no tin at all - just place the cotton on a plank of wood and insert into a fire. When black, drop charred cotton into water to extinguish any glow and dry off in the air/ sun to use later. Also, if you block the hole you risk the lid being blown off.

Finally - the material you use. I live in a hard water area, and all old cotton does not make good char cloth for me. I think it is the lime build up on the cloth but have yet to prove it. I buy cheap new cotton - such as bandages, or tea cloths in the pound shop to make, or use freebee towels from reps.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
What do people use as material for charcloth.. i have only ever used cotton from an old sheet.. but its very thin and the finished product isnt very rubust and falls appart annoyingly!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
tomtom said:
What do people use as material for charcloth.. i have only ever used cotton from an old sheet.. but its very thin and the finished product isnt very rubust and falls appart annoyingly!

I just use whatever comes to hand to be honest, today it was an old pillow case, but i have used tea towels in the past, even an old pair of cotton shorts, as long as it's cotton it seems to work, the pillow case i used was very thin, but if you tear two or three layers of it and then fold it against the flint i find it is normally robust enough, if you look at the picture of me holding it against the edge, you can see where i have folded a number of layers in two.

I don't see how the lid can get blown off, if you block the hole off, the burn inside uses all of the available O2 and creates a vacumn, must admit i have never had a lid come off, quite the opposite tbh, sometimes it's a job to get the lid off if you dont equalise the pressure differential first by taking the stick out.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Stretchy cotton bandage is excellent. As is toweling. Genuine linen as distinct from cotton is good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE