Chamois Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Has anyone tried using a chamois leather (real leather, not those faux leather ones) to make kit pouches and the like?
Have I hit upon a good idea, or has everyone been doing it for ages?
How well does it take dye?
Are there any pitfalls to be aware off?

Cheers

Reactions: Oliver G

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Has anyone tried using a chamois leather (real leather, not those faux leather ones) to make kit pouches and the like?
Have I hit upon a good idea, or has everyone been doing it for ages?
How well does it take dye?
Are there any pitfalls to be aware off?

Cheers
Never tried it, let us know how you get on.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Wouldn't it be really absorbent? I've only every used chamois leathers to clean cars with, though it's absorbency may lead to it taking a waterproofing agent really well (Lanolin?)

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Chamois leathers nowadays are made from sheep or lambskin suede. They are very absorbant so wouldn't be any protection against the elements. Sheepskin in general isn't the strongest of leathers so no pointy things if you make a pouches. I've no idea if they can be waxed/oiled for water repellency.
Suede & split leather don't usually take dye that well with uneven uptake & chammies are partly oil tanned, so only chance it if you don't mind blotchy.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well, I did it.
It worked absolutely fine. Well, for what I wanted it for - to make a sleeve for a windshield.
Not sure it was the most cost-effective way (two chamois from Morrisons at £3.50 each, then some leather laces at another couple of quid, and then a bottle of suede dye - which I already had but could have been another fiver or so), to be honest. But then, what with lockdown, all the charity shops have been closed so I couldn't scout them out to see if they had any suitable leather items for cutting up (and even now they've opened I'm not sure I can be bothered to go into town and go into all the shops for something so trivial and unnecessary just on the off chance).
Anyway, here's the results...

51131978075_1dfed6f7d0.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE