C'est complet

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Well I finally think my axe collection is complete....

choppy.jpg

From left to right

Hultafors Classic Hand Hatchet, GB Mini Hatchet, Cold Steel Trail Hawk, Husqvarna Swedish Hatchet, GB Small Forest Axe and the Hultafors Agdor Chopping Axe.

I think these should cover most eventualities :D

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thumbs up on that> :)
Looks like alot of moneys worth there. :p
Dont take them all at once or youll need a crane to take them to camp. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Much like single bits they come in all sizes, shapes and profiles. In your range, I ould be looking to add a bigger "working" axe - 36" helve and 3.5 to 5 pound head. But I think like that because of how I use them. When processing firewood a larger axe gives huge mechanical advantage. However I don't have to carry them far!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Much like single bits they come in all sizes, shapes and profiles. In your range, I ould be looking to add a bigger "working" axe - 36" helve and 3.5 to 5 pound head. But I think like that because of how I use them. When processing firewood a larger axe gives huge mechanical advantage. However I don't have to carry them far!

Me either if I take the van :D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you ever want to play with a few double bits and find yourself out my way Dave, do look in and I'll put a few in your hands and you you can try them out for yourself

Outdoor axe would fit nicely between mini hatchet and the cold steel.......
I am a bit of an advocate of them. Once I got mine I sold off all my other axes bar the small forest axe....great wee axe. Punches well above its weight. I've felled trees, made a bow, processed fire wood, snedded branches roughed out carving projects etc with it. I really love the outdoor axe. To extent that sfa only comes out winter time

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You've started me on a quest now. I'm looking for a photograph of my great uncle Eddie on his farm in Australia circa 1930. Just before he died, about 30 years ago, he came back to England to see his sister - my grandmother. They hadn't seen each other for over 40 years. He gave me this photo.

In it, he's standing in a forest, stripped to the waist, grinning at the camera. He wasn't a tall bloke, about 5'6", but the axe he was leaning on in the photo was nearly as tall as he was and the head on it was HUGE. It must have been about 10"x10". Goodness only knows what it weighed.

At the time of the photo he was using it to clear about ten acres of bush. He built his house there after getting an assisted passage to go to Australia to live.

Looked like a hard life to me, but what with all the extended family flocking around I never got the chance to talk to him about it.

Anyway, I don't think your collection can be complete until you've got an axe like that one of Uncle Eddies. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE