Cereal bars et al....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/healthy-image-of-cereal-bars-myth-1

Don't know about other folks here, but I have never really considered these as a "healthy snack" as such.
More as a sustenance-type of snack that I would use along the lines o0f "trail mix"...
In other words, something fairly high in calories, which would include fats, to keep your energy levels up
when not stopping long enough to cook or prepare something more substantial.
On one occasion I used only these and ramen noodles plus beans and rice, plus plenty of water of course,
on a 5 day trip in the desert with no downside to report.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT likes some of them as biscuity things when he's out walking/camping.
I kind of think on them as a kind of commercially made muesli bar, just maybe not so healthy, iimmc.
Not as crumbly right enough and probably last a lot longer than the ones made with butter, oats, fruit and nuts, etc. at home though.

That report does rather deflate their 'healthy/ natural' advertising.

cheers,
M

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/healthy-image-of-cereal-bars-myth-1

Don't know about other folks here, but I have never really considered these as a "healthy snack" as such.
More as a sustenance-type of snack that I would use along the lines o0f "trail mix"...
In other words, something fairly high in calories, which would include fats, to keep your energy levels up
On one occasion I used only these and ramen noodles plus beans and rice, plus plenty of water of course,
on a 5 day trip in the desert with no downside to report.

Pretty much the same as my way of thinking as well.

I take them when out hiking because they don't melt or crush and are easy to eat on the go.

At home to be honest i'd sooner munch on some fruit of a carrot.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
When I was young I copied my eldest brother for trail food, dry porage and sugar in a paper bag, tasty but needless to say I am lacking quite a few teeth because of it as we lived on Epsom common and were hitting the trails most days.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Chance would be a fine thing...

I went looking for some high calorie / high fat/sugar snack bars to pack for a trip to Canada in winter but all I could find was "low fat", "low sugar" and "low calorie" stuff in the shops :(

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Just had slab of flapjack, handful of fresh raspberries & a pot of plain Muller rice. A tasty, nutricious, healthy and otherwise delightful snack based on a cereal bar.

Yummity, yum, yum, yum!
t2801.gif

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well bacon, eggs, hash browns and all the rest are not "healthy" either, but despite such large breakfasts I managed to out consume those calories these last few days. I am knackered now though.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I keep a catering size box of cereal bars in my draws in work, along with some dreaded pot noodles.
Both are ideal for long term storage and filling on the long nights when people can't figure out the same options in a bit of software for the last 10 years are the same they are supposed to use today.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE