ceramics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've just bought myself a couple of ceramic rods (medium and fine) on an impulse, a whole fiver on a whim!! i need to calm down!! and i was just wondering if anyone here had any hints, tips, general advice for using them. ok, specifics, they'll be used initially on a carbon steel opinel folder just to try it out and then possibly on a variety of stainless and carbon blades. at present i use an old oil stone as a medium and fine stone, then a series of nail buffers (don't laugh!!). anyway, any advice for a ceramic virgin?
thanks in advance

stuart

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Use your regular waterstones to get your initial edge, then your fine ceramic in the field to frequently polish the razor edge back in. Little and often is the key, just a couple of strokes either side. This way you'll keep an almost constant razor edge, with less need for a big sharpening sessions.

I'm still trying to perfect my sharpening skills, I dont want to rely on jig's so I'm working on finding the right combo of stones and technique. I guess there is some variation with how everyone does it, but medioum waterstones and a fine ceramic are giving me good results at the moment.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
They go all shiny and grey after you've used them a bit - just give them a scrub with a new "sharp" nylon pan scourer and some cream cleaner to renovate them. Cheers

coutel

Sep 25, 2003
Stuart.

I use ceramic rods a lot of the time.

I rest one end on a table, position the knife edge as if I was going to slice some ceramic off!!........I dont use very much pressure at all, ... just one pass usualy does the trick providing it isnt too blunt.

IF the edge is really blunt, then I hold the knife in one hand, edge up and hold the rod in the other hand.... rub the rod in a circular motion trying to keep the right edge angle...As the edge gets sharper I ease off on the pressure and finish off with very light one way strokes.

Clean with an eraser.

A lot of you probably know this trick already...(may have been a RM tip I read about some where?)...but I needed to sharpen a blunt knife over Christmas (not mine!) but I didnt have my ceramic or stone so I used the top of my car window where its rounded....Wound it down and used it like I would use a ceramic rod...just a few light passes.
Worked a treat as a last resort sharpening method ,, edge was hair shaving within a couple of passes.

I have used those nail buffers as well.......ones with 4 grade of grits on them.....(soft flexy cards)....Works great on convex edges...was able to put a nice polished edge on :-D

Kevin

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
coutel said:
A lot of you probably know this trick already...(may have been a RM tip I read about some where?)...but I needed to sharpen a blunt knife over Christmas (not mine!) but I didnt have my ceramic or stone so I used the top of my car window where its rounded....Wound it down and used it like I would use a ceramic rod...just a few light passes.
Worked a treat as a last resort sharpening method ,, edge was hair shaving within a couple of passes.

Bit like when my old mum used to sharpen scissors by putting one half of the cutting edge inside an old milk bottle and then cutting a few times as if she was trying to cut the neck of the bottle in half..Voila...nice sharp scissors :-D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
A couple of brands of ceramics sold in the US come with advice to use powdered "scouring powder" -- as in under the kitchen sink -- for clearing out the rods. Seems to work. I'll have to try the pads.

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
To clean the ceramic triangles for my Spyderco sharpmaker I either use a scotchbrtie type scouring pad and/or bung them in the dish washer.

I have recently got a set of ultra fine rods for the sharpmaker and they put a really scarry sharp edge on a blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE