Ceramic whetstones

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
just wondered if anyone uses full size ceramic whetstones...
How you use them (pre soak?) and what long term use is like on them for wear and tear.
I gather they are not a cheap investment, but i have found a 3000/8000 grit for a reasonable price. Well, livable.

Managed to get some very high grit (no idea, 6000+ at a guess) ceramic plate from work and had a play over the weekend. The edge it puts on A2 steel is stunning. You can remove hair without feeling it. It jumps off the skin :eek:

I think I like ceramic... Muchly.

al.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a Spyderco course, fine, and ultrafine. They are excellent. They don't wear down so they will stay true a long long time. They are not for reprofiling though, not even the coarse. But they are great for maintaining an edge and removing microchips. I use the ultrafine for quick touch up of my woodcarving tools. To maintain the stones, just get a rust eraser in medium grit. That's all I ever use to clean ceramic sticks and stones.

I do not soak or treat my ceramic stones with anything. Just use as is and clean with the eraser.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting, thanks!

The 3000/8000 was just planned for finishing. Judging by the ceramic plate I have at home, it would take a lifetime to put an edge on something, if you even could, but to get that last level where you can confidently say 'I'm done' it really surprised me.

I did, many moons ago use a ceramic steel for catering. Just never really thought about working tools/sharps until the other day.
There's something strangely satisfying when you find something that takes your sharpening abilities up a notch!
A few wipes on dried Tormek and its ridiculous.

Regards, al.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The only place i could find a ceramic 'steel' like our metal ones was from San Franisco.
It can certainly edge my edges and / or at least as well as a leather strop.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have a Spyderco course, fine, and ultrafine. They are excellent. They don't wear down so they will stay true a long long time. They are not for reprofiling though, not even the coarse. But they are great for maintaining an edge and removing microchips. I use the ultrafine for quick touch up of my woodcarving tools. To maintain the stones, just get a rust eraser in medium grit. That's all I ever use to clean ceramic sticks and stones.

I do not soak or treat my ceramic stones with anything. Just use as is and clean with the eraser.

+1 for the Spyderco stones, amazing kit!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The only place i could find a ceramic 'steel' like our metal ones was from San Franisco.
It can certainly edge my edges and / or at least as well as a leather strop.

Global have been doing them for years if it helps... You can buy just the replacement rods, and retro fit a handle to save a few quid! (you are, in effect paying £50/60 for the handle)

http://www.globalknives.uk.com/range/knife-sharpening-accessories/g-45-ceramic-sharpening-steel

http://www.russums-shop.co.uk/knive...ppc&utm_term=24519&utm_campaign=froogle#24519

I'm sorely tempted to just take the hit now, But due to an interesting pm, I might consider another avenue.

al.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A dual sided 3000/8000 can be had from £60-80 although from doing a look-see around, the spyderco med/fine/ultra can be bought from HH £45 at a time.

Not cheap in any respects, but thanks to the reply's above, they seem to last a very, very long time by all accounts.
You may find something cheaper, not had much of a chance to search, as yet.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?...&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I picked up a Spyderco Doublestuff Med/Fine for a decent price online.
After using it I think I can see a set of full size stones in my future.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have spyderco fine and ultra fine bench stones. They are good if you don't like spending time on maintenance. They are very hard so a bit more skaty giving less feedback than an equivalent grit waterstone but requiring far less maintenance. I tend to favour diamonds followed by spydercos when away from home and waterstones for proper sharpening at home, I do have the luxury of both to choose from though.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have a 3000 grit Japanes ceramic water stone from "the invisible edge" and it's great just as good as Icebear stones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE