CCTV for home security

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have a basic set up on my vehicles and sheds. My brother in law works for a company in London installing them. I can't mension the buildings or establishments they are or have workied on but they don't come cheap. Have you a problem? I'm hoping for a redundant system to plug and play.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If you go online and look at some of the Domestic CCTV reviews you may find some direction. It all comes down to where your vehicle is, how well lit it is, if the culprit takes any measure to hide his/her face. Often the camera will become the deferent. If there's a ongoing dispute or vendetta, they may work round your security cameras. Dash cams can be very effective. One on the front dash and one on the rear parcel shelf. If you have motion sensors built in. What is common is the level of detail caught on camera. Very often not good enough for a conviction. Night vision cameras are good for upto 10x meters. Phone the Police crime prevention officer. He may have portable cctv cameras that may be loaned out. Hidden inside a garden ornament or such like.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Have a look on maplins , I think they do diy kits , I've no knowledge of them but a box with all the right bits in is often a good starting point . I have used dummy ones as a deterrent, the cost a few quid on fleabay, have a flashing light and a dummy wire, located in the right place they might make the culprit think twice ......

brickie58

Feb 8, 2014
pembs
Thanks.I'd like to plant a few land mines around the car but health and safety won't let me. I've heard of some CCTV cameras with built in memory cards rather than having to go the DVR route ? What do you think, lighting is pretty good where the car is I have a suspect so a reasonable image as plod said to me you tell alot from body shape etc.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
If lighting is good and you have control over the area where the car is parked. If your loosing sleep or money over these events. It could be worth buying a couple of the trail cams as mentioned. About £100 each. These do have the SIM card in and are easy to hide and lift the data off of. Once you have the evidence of the culprit. Then you could sell on the trail cameras and loose a few quid. But you will have tried your best and hopefully stopped any further damage.
Have you asked your neighbours or anyone else on your street if they are experiencing problems? Maybe you could all work together.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The only drawback with cams with built in storage is if the thief lifts the camera then he's got all the footage as well as the camera. Either a wired or wireless DVR means they're captured on camera stealing the camera.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If they are wearing hoods, doesnt make any difference, as a fellow dog walker we know found out, when his greyhound was nicked from his garden. :(

thats all they have to do to outwit the latest tech, and the police. Buy a hoody.

I think alarms, very loud noises, infa red, powerful lights, would be a better choice.

Last edited:

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
The only drawback with cams with built in storage is if the thief lifts the camera then he's got all the footage as well as the camera. Either a wired or wireless DVR means they're captured on camera stealing the camera.
For another £70 making the trail camera almost £200 max. The camera can have a tracking device in it and when it's activated and or the camera is downloaded to the internet. The company monitoring the camera system can locate it and notify you and the police. Good chance you get your camera back and catch the culprit. I must admit my knowledge of the camera and tracking systems are a few years out of date since I considered buying trail cameras. Again do some research.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I think alarms, very loud noises, infa red, powerful lights, would be a better choice.
Or make a scarecrow out of your own old clothes. Sit it in the passenger seat or stand it up in the shadow at your rear garden gate. Even propping it up in various windows at late evening could be all it takes to send a message "I'm watching"
It's so true with hoodies. Anything less than a good clear image of the face, is next to useless. My first choice would be a reasonably priced night vision camera or two from the font eves of your house looking out and down onto your vehicle. I was in mapplins on Tuesday. They have a good DIY range but also a installation service too.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Ive installed several systems for clients and have my own, from my experience the swann kits with cameras and recording unit are the simplest and most robust, but get as high a resolution as possible. I had a client who has a trailer stolen, they saw the car and the thieves on the camera, but it was only 4m from the camera and the license plate couldnt be made out as it was only a standard composite cable camera.

The police didnt do much, they knew who the thieves were, they knew who had bought the stolen trailer from the thieves, and yet the thieves havent been prosecuted and the trailer hasnt been restrieved.

Makes me think americans have the right idea for property defence.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yep, I reported my recent assault, nothing done at all. Even though there were a couple of leads worth following up on,and now my dental surgery is well over £1000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep, I reported my recent assault, nothing done at all. Even though there were a couple of leads worth following up on,and now my dental surgery is well over £1000

Kick them in the **** Dave, you pay their wages.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Game cam that sends the pics to your phone.
Stable cam, meat to follow mares foaling that connects to your pc wireless.
A handy fellow would connect an alarm and the cam via motion detecting floodlight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE