catapult safety question

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
What's best practice for running a catapult range? What sort of safety gear would be best for 10-14 yr olds?

Using mint imperials o'course...

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
1. Safe backstop of non-rebounding properties.
2. Targetry to be of non-rebounding properties.
3. Eye protection.
4. Firing point/line supervision. (Ensure no one plays silly b**gers and keeps catty pointing down range at all times.)
5. First aid kit
6. Risk Assessment.

K

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Although it might sound a bit OTT I'd say very similar than running a rifle/pistol range minus the ear protection.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Klenchblaize is spot on with the addition of

Written method statement or safe system of work (same thing)
Routine inspection record for wearable parts (catapults) and range stuff and PPE (safety glasses)
Safety briefing (for clients)
Training of staff in the above safe system of work
Written training record and 'skills matrix' for staff - signed and dated by them (they tend to have have selective memories when things go wrong)

Sadly tiz what I do - advising outdoor companies on their H & S management procedures

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Good grief! Sucking all the fun out of a kids' toy.

I don't think it would be any different on a scout camp in the USA.

Wherever you're giving projectile weapons to people to have a try with you've got the potential for misuse or accidents happening. Someone gets hurt and the lawyers would love to jump on it to raise a fast buck or two.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Our kids use raw chickpeas, so if they lose the ammo is not so bad littering as the metal BB's .

It's great fun plinking cans and bottles at different distances.

I'm about to make another catapult for my daughter as the first one was rubbish , I'll post a pic later on...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mint imperials :D they smash with a biodegradeable white splat. Or, to confuse the utter heck out of the local canine (and foxy) population, try aniseed balls :)

M

Last edited:

bowji john

Silver Trader
Our kids use raw chickpeas, so if they lose the ammo is not so bad littering as the metal BB's .

It's great fun plinking cans and bottles at different distances.

I'm about to make another catapult for my daughter as the first one was rubbish , I'll post a pic later on...

Bring yer favorite catapult in May - give you an advantage in the ''ninja competition'' :)

John

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Written statement of policy on safety including range rules to be given to all parents/carers of participants. Sadly some people look for opportunities to sue. Maybe look to insurance cover?

So sad that kids' fun has to be so regulated in this day and age.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Wherever you're giving projectile weapons to people to have a try with you've got the potential for misuse or accidents happening. Someone gets hurt and the lawyers would love to jump on it to raise a fast buck or two.

Also sadly true. Probably more so here than there regarding the lawyers. Still and all, it's a devise any 8 year old can, and frequently does, make himself/herself with a forked stick and a a bicycle inner tube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE