DSC_0059_zps11e3ff68.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the mk 2 tuna can

DSC_0060_zps06f72aef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

side by side

DSC_0061_zps68327589.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

same design 16 holes around the top 16 holes offset slighty lower, mk1 can is smaller but has a wider circumference hence wider gap between the holes

the mk2 looks more similar to the traditional "fancy feast" tins in shape here are the specs to boil about 300ml water with stoves filled with 35ml of meths
DSC_0051_zpsd37a2db8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

time to prime mk1= 2:30 mins mk2= 4 mins

rolling boil mk1= 7:40 mins mk2= 10:40 mins

burn out mk1=11:40 mins mk2= 17:10 mins

same design dramatically different stats i have more of those tuna tins to empty so i thinking perhaps 8up 8down this time
has anyone played with different designs and found an optimum? 4 mins to prime is horrible im thinging the holes are too close together on the mk2

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Cat stove is probably my fave alcy stove for bigger pots. The efficiency on fuel is the best I've found on any burner yet. All mine have come from aluminium Aldi pate' tins. I prefer the Fancee Feast stove (Cheers Rich) I'm using ATM as it directs the flame better onto my smaller 900ml pots.

I use 48 holes arranged like the second stove down, keeping the holes as close to the top of the rim as possible. Priming takes about 30 secs.

FWIW, theres some great templates on Zenstoves that you can print off and stick round your cans. :)

I've found that fewer holes means longer priming and they suffer in the wind.

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
48 is a lot, i take it you have 3 rows of holes? also are the holes the same size as mine? not sure what size mine are but its the standard size hole for filing A4 paper.

seems ali cans are a rare find, john west,sainsbury own brand tuna and princes are all steel, probably causing the prime to take longer than usual

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE