Cast iron griddle too big to season in oven :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
I'll try the BBQ...it a round wee one, so maybe so small too. if not Ill wear a snorkel in kitchen. Thanks all :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you have it all cleaned up, then just use it. Bake on it every day for a week and the fat or oil or butter that you use will seep in and bake on too. You can use them for everything from scones and bannocks to tattie scones and oatcakes, flatbreads and tortillas, corncakes to pancakes.

cheers,
Toddy

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
Thank you all. I think it's ok! I feel a tad seasoned after that! How can you tell if its got too hot? Apologies if that's a daft question.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When dealing with seasoned cast iron, if the seasoning gets cracked and pitted, it can be removed by getting the pot / pan really hot (glowing) and just brushing it off with a wire brush. To season it only needs to be hot pan hot. So don't put the pan on lots and lots of coals, either put it on the wire grill, or just put enough coals under it to get it "fast egg fry" hot, veg oil or lard should smoke blue when applied - that's the seasoning cooking on.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you have it all cleaned up, then just use it. Bake on it every day for a week and the fat or oil or butter that you use will seep in and bake on too....

Agreed, just use it. But he said it's too big to fit in the oven so how's he gonna "bake" in it? LOL. Frying bacon and greasy foods will work though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When dealing with seasoned cast iron, if the seasoning gets cracked and pitted, it can be removed by getting the pot / pan really hot (glowing) and just brushing it off with a wire brush.....

That'll get off the outer layer true enough. But if it's seasoned properly there is seasoning deep "inside" the cast iron. That's the whole point behind getting it hot, to expand the pores (cast metal is porous) to let the oil seep "into" it rather than on it.

That's also why you avoid using soap on CI, because it seeps into the pores and is difficult to simply rinse "off" but it will rise back into the food during cooking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Santaman2000, in the UK a girdle (Scotland and N. England) or griddle is, also knows as a bakestone. It's the flat iron plate that was used to bake on over an open fire; nowadays we just put them on top of the cooker; electric, gas or aga/raeburn.
There must be a million recipes for cooking on them :D

I'm presuming you're more familiar with the wriggly iron plate used for searing meat ?

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Santaman2000, in the UK a girdle (Scotland and N. England) or griddle is, also knows as a bakestone. It's the flat iron plate that was used to bake on over an open fire; nowadays we just put them on top of the cooker; electric, gas or aga/raeburn.
There must be a million recipes for cooking on them :D

I'm presuming you're more familiar with the wriggly iron plate used for searing meat ?
atb,
M

Santaman,

Some pics.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks. I knew what sort of implement you meant (no not all griddles over here have the wriggly lines) What I meant was, if it's not in an oven, how can it be called "baking?" To me the very word infers that heat will be directed at the food from all directions. I'd be more used to calling it "griddling" if cooked on top of a fire.

That said, the pic of the one in the fireplace would most certainly be "baking" in either of our dialects.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE