cast Iron Fry Pan Ikea - £6.99

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Thanks for the heads up on these, was calling in to ikea in the morning to get some reindeer salami and jam , will be picking one of them up as well now.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I was going to post a 'heads-up' on these. I thought I'd actually found something new and cool and then I was going to bask in the sheer glory of it:cool:

A quick search revealed I was beaten to it:( the glory and adulation is yet again someone else's:D

Anyway here's a pic of it I took for some scale, hope it's useful:)

ikeapan001.jpg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
They do look ace. Is that some kind of coating on it or just factory oil? Or just the light? Oh, to be near an Ikea!

No idea but I just cooked an omelette with it and it did stick a bit. It wasn't too bad but I think I'll season it in the oven before I use it again.

Fantastic value but they do weigh three metric tons so not for lumping around on your back for very long. Unless of course your objective is simply to have a fry up somewhere nice and quiet. And why not? I do that quite often:)

relfy

Nomad
No idea but I just cooked an omelette with it and it did stick a bit. It wasn't too bad but I think I'll season it in the oven before I use it again.

Fantastic value but they do weigh three metric tons so not for lumping around on your back for very long. Unless of course your objective is simply to have a fry up somewhere nice and quiet. And why not? I do that quite often:)

It does look really nice! Perfect size and shape - for camping like the British Empire :) hehe. I just restored an old cast iron kettle so looked up how to season it on the net - lots of sites saying similar things - smear with any fat which is hard at room temp (inside and out), and heat for a couple of hours (at least) upside-down at around 300 deg F.... but I found that actually it needed to be a lot hotter (4-500 deg F) and sometimes I left it ALL night in the rayburn. I had to do 5 or 6 coats, but that was because it is all pitted and nasty and impossible to get completely smooth in the bottom.
It did say that you need to remove the factory grease really well before you try to season a new piece of cast iron cookware. But you also need to remove any detergent or whatever from doing that too, and make sure its completely dry, before you start with the grease! I decided the easiest way round that was to rub it with wire wool, wash it thoroughly and cook it in the oven for a few hours before starting.
From the state of this kettle, it is DEFINITELY worth getting on top of the seasoning as soon as possible - and you have to redo it if you scrub it or wash it with detergent. Oh the joys! :)

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Thanks for the heads up on these, was calling in to ikea in the morning to get some reindeer salami and jam , will be picking one of them up as well now.

Cheers for the heads up on Reindeer salami at Ikea (never been so keen to be dragged wardrobe shopping)
Picked up a fry pan too.
Spent the evening round a fire, making Reindeer salami, red/green pepper, cherry tomato kebabs and the last of my Snowdonia Co. cheese (from the outdoorshow). Washed down with chilled Ikea 'Old Gold' swedish beer as a reward for wardrobe assembly duties.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I used to get "dragged" to Ikea quite a bit but since discovering the amount of usables and adaptables there (not to mention the hotdogs!) there's no dragging involved.

Picked up the essentials (salami, lingonberry, meatballs and daim cake!) as well as one of these pans, thanks for the heads up.

Seasoned and then rustled up a quick solo egg and bacon sarnie and its really rather good, the pan that is - thought the sarnie was not so bad either.

I guess a review would be this: Cast iron, fairly heavy medium sized pan. Made in China for Ikea. Requires a level of seasoning, though a couple of hours in an oven with the occasional wipe over with oil is easy enough and suffices if you are not skilled in the arts. Good for car camping or a canoe trip, bit heavy to backpack. At £6.99, you should all own one. Makes great fried bread!

ATB
Dave

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
heh, got a strainer last time i was in Ikea, i hate the place (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNcaaehKaC8)
but sometimes it is necessary, i'll give the pan a shot and the raindeer salami sounds good.

i have a bad habit of leaving notes in ikea, using those little pencils and paper, things like "If anyone reads this please tell my wife i love her, i can't go on, it never ends!"
etc etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE