Cast Iron Dutch Ovens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Do you really need legs on a Dutch oven?
The pots on the sites listed look really great - but expensive. I'm hoping to pick up something cheap at a car boot sale and add a wire handle myself.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Dutch ovens are actually but one of several cast iron cooking utensils that have fallen out of production and use. There is a line of african style pots with a rounded bottom. These theoretically are more efficient cookers, but less handy for many dishes. You may find many cast iron ovens without legs. These are properly for use in modern ovens or on a grill. The tripod design allows for balancing the pot- important for some dishes and moving or renewing coals underneath.

Edi_M

Motorbike Man said:
I've just had a look at Unbeaten Tracks prices for their dutch ovens and I'm staggered!!

We buy these and sell them where I work for ritual use as cauldrons as we know they are safe in a fire.

I cannot buy these from our wholesaler for as little as Unbeaten Tracks are selling them :eek:

I don't know how they're doing it, but I wish I knew who their supplier was!!! Their prices really are a bargain folks

Sorry, haven't been on a while & in any case etiquette suggests I couldn't really direct anyone towards a company I'm involved with. However.....

Unbeatentracks buy direct from the SA manufacturer in bulk & import them into the UK. We ARE a wholesaler. PM me or drop us a line if you want to know any more.

John also has some recipies, drop us an email & we'll be happy to furnish any inquirer with them! :)

Edi_M said:
Sorry, haven't been on a while & in any case etiquette suggests I couldn't really direct anyone towards a company I'm involved with. However.....

Unbeatentracks buy direct from the SA manufacturer in bulk & import them into the UK. We ARE a wholesaler. PM me or drop us a line if you want to know any more.

John also has some recipies, drop us an email & we'll be happy to furnish any inquirer with them! :)
That would explain it then :rolleyes: PM sent :D

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have just found this recipe on a scouting web site, maybe an idea to try it out at one of the meet-ups, it would certainly solve the menue for the entire meet for all that attend:

Genuine Australian Camel Stew

NOTE: Recipe requires a quite large Dutch Oven, Recommended for entertaining V.I.P's in Camp.

3 Medium sized Camels
1 ton salt
500 bushels Potatoes
1 ton pepper
200 bushels carrots
3000 sprigs parsley
2 small rabbits
1000 gallons of brown gravy.

Cut camels into bite sized pieces, cube vegetables. Place meat into pan and cover with 1000 gallons of brown gravy. Simmer slowly for 4 weeks. Garnish with Parsley, Should serve 3800 people. If more are expected add 2 rabbits.

Mr. McGregor's note: I haven't tried this recipe as I have been having trouble obtaining the camels but you may have better luck.
:) :p :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE