Casio or Suunto?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
I always carry dive watches like seiko and others, but lately I have been looking at some watches like the Casio Pathfinder/Protrek and Suunto Core. They have functions like compass, barometer, altimeter and so on.
I would like to hear what you have to say about these watches, some feedback, please.
How are they performing, are they any good for the price? Are you satisfied with yours?
Good and bad things about them?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Trackerman

Ive used a Sunnto Vector for around 8 years now. Likes: Its a very good watch especially for UK hillwalking as the altimeter gives an extra navigation aid when walking in hill fog/blizzards.
Some people dont like the large size but I prefer it as it makes the watch easier to read and the buttons easier to press with gloves on, having said that I have to take it off when rock climbing as it snags on things.
The barometer is good for weather trends especially when camping out/snowholing and I like the stop watch for timing estimations.
Its quite a tough watch that will take a bashing and getting wet.

Dislikes: The compass is not really any use in the UK mountains, it would probably be ok if you were lost in the desert.
The thermometer is inaccurate unless you put the watch in your pocket.
I would like a better strap as they can crack and dont fit well around your wrist if worn over a jacket.
Ive not used the core but this is my take on the Sunnto features you mentioned, depending on what you want from it a reccommended buy.
Hope this helps Ed

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Used a few of each over the years, but the ranges change rapidly so my views may be a little out of date!
Not had a problem with either brand, even having used them for climbing and wedging them in cracks (man i hate offwidths), the casios kept there looks for longer in general, though the toughest watch i've had was the suunto xlander, the mineral glass refused to scratch with even the hardest abuse, the plastic lense on the vector (had to be plastic for the compass leveller) was too easy to scratch in my opinion.
The suuntos were also easier to use, much simpler screen layout in general compared to the casios.
Also if you use the functions a lot then running costs are a consideration many people ignore, the suuntos batterys can be changed with the use of a 2p coin where the casio needs to be taken to a good dealer as the pressure sensor is put out of whack if you pop the back off. prices vary a lot :tongue-ti
Whatever you go for make sure its comfy on the wrist, some are massive!
One thing that puts me off suuntos now is that they need to be returned back to suunto directly via DHL rather than through the dealer network, this depends on your personnal view on the matter.
In terms of reliability neither will cause you concern anytime soon ;)

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I have a Suunto Core as my EDC watch, and am pleased with it. I like the big display (getting older...), and as my 'best' watch is a Panerai, the size isn't an issue. I don't really use the compass, but as mentioned above it would be a useful emergency aid. The altimeter is reasonably good. I like Suunto's menu system, which is straightforward to use.

The ability to change the battery yourself is useful, as is the ease with which straps can be obtained and changed.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
I have a Suunto Observer and have been very disappointed with it. The compass will not keep it's setting, and the watch seems to be needlessly complicated. I will buy a Casio next time.

David Enoch

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I've been wearing the top of range casio pathfinder for 3 1/2 years. Its solar powered so it will never need a battery. It automatically adjusts the time itself to the international time signal so its always accurate, and I dont have to fiddle with it.
The functions I use most are the compass/ altimeter/ light. No problems at all. The barometer and temperature functions I rarely use.
It is a big watch with large numbers which suits my old eyes!:rolleyes:
It is a more reliable watch than I thought it might be and I would recommend them to anyone who has the budget.
A pal used to complain about his Suunto which cost twice as much as mine.
Best of luck.
G:)

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Thanks for all of your answers. Very useful information for me. I´m interested of how accurate the compass function is. Somebody wrote that they don´t work that well in mountains, but better in open field. How do they perform in a city with high buildings?

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Its not that the compass dosn't work well in the mountains, its just that you can't easily take a bearing from your map as you would with a normal compass. Obviously an accurate bearing could be critical in poor conditions so would you rely on your watch?
Personally I wouldn't therefore the compass on the watch is obsolete better to spend the extra cash on a better compass IMO.
I guess you could use it to keep on course once you had taken the bearing but it seems a lot of effort.
Ive no doubt for a general indication of direction the watch would be fine. Ed

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Its not that the compass dosn't work well in the mountains, its just that you can't easily take a bearing from your map as you would with a normal compass. Obviously an accurate bearing could be critical in poor conditions so would you rely on your watch?
Personally I wouldn't therefore the compass on the watch is obsolete better to spend the extra cash on a better compass IMO.
I guess you could use it to keep on course once you had taken the bearing but it seems a lot of effort.
Ive no doubt for a general indication of direction the watch would be fine. Ed

Oh, ok. I wouldn´t leave without my Silva Ranger 15 when I`m out in the wilderness, but as an backup. Thanks for clearing that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE