Carving spoons etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
As a newcomer to this and having just bought a cheapish bushcraft knife, I'd like something to do with it (no daft replies please!).
Could someone send a pic of a crafted spoon or similar with advice as to wood choice and technique?
Many thanks,
Kev

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
with all those knives Wayne? :rolmao:
easiest wood for a beginner (including myself) is green birch straight off the tree.You also get a handy bundle of tinder wrapped around the outside :) Its surprisingly easy to produce a reasonable spoon IMHO

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would go to WoolWorths and buy a big wooden spoon and turn it in to a small wooden spoon. Unlike most logs and/or branches, large wooden spoons have a natural spoon shape to them, making the whole task a lot easier :naughty:

Joe

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks to you all for the advice.
I'll have a bash and assuming the wounds on hands and fingers are not too bad afterwards, I'll let you know how I get on!

beachlover said:
As a newcomer to this and having just bought a cheapish bushcraft knife, I'd like something to do with it (no daft replies please!).
Could someone send a pic of a crafted spoon or similar with advice as to wood choice and technique?
Many thanks,
Kev

Hello mate, how are you doing?

Here are some of my spoons and things. For the majority of these I used either Sycamore or Alder. Sycamore is realy easy to carve, so ideal wood for beginners ;)

Attachments

• Kev.jpg
    Kev.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 212

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
monkeyman,

a crook knife is useful for making the bowl but its not essential. You can make a pretty good bowl just with a penknife or a woodlore and then sand down the rough bits. It is possible to place a small burning coal in the area of the bowl and blow it to burn out the bowl, just remove the carbon with sandpaper or a rock.

Hope this helps

Cheers

JFW

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
MARK II said:
I have just finished a spoon myself and if someone can tell me how to attach a photo I will show you.

If you go to the gallery you should be able to upload a photo via the upload button and follow the steps. Then after the photo is up you can get the URL/address of it and link it into your post. I need to get a proper tutorial up.....it's on the list! ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A good model for carving is probably as close as your kitchen drawer. :)

crookedspoons1b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE