Carving set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Looking to get into some carving. I'm an Arborist so have a never ending supply of wood and always thought it'd be nice to do something with it, other than just burn the stuff!

Whats do I need to get started? I was thinking a Clipper and a crook knife although I've heard the frosts crooks aren't all that great? I have a Gransfors Sfa which may be slightly too hefty for blocking out so maybe also a hatchet?

just looking to start with spoons etc and progress on...

ratzer

Jan 4, 2017
Berkshire
I recently fancied a go at wood carving and after some research purchased the flex cut beginners set of pelicans and the beginners palm set, I'm very happy with it, although I'm still learning i've made some nice pieces

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Depends one what your wanting to carve? For small whittling projects you can do majority of the work with a small carving knife. Larger carving (Animals, heads etc) get a gouge and chisel set a SFA will be fine and larger knife like the clipper. Kasa and spoon carving then a crook knife and clipper will work with the sfa.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Tanks, any recommendations on a decent crook knife that won't break the bank?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Dave Budd makes quality tools.
You can PM him on this parish.

Robin wood is another good choice.
Lefties righties etc
http://wood-tools.co.uk/shop/

You can bet on, getting razor sharp tools , with either one

Spoilt for choice around here really , but from those two I'd happily buy again.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think you have more bushcraft bladesmiths on your side of the Atlantic.
As there are so many different ways to carve a spoon, so are there different tool approaches.

What appears most popular here would be some sort of smaller axe/hatchet for the rough shaping,
followed by straight knife and crooked/spoon knife work.
I've never done that style, should try some day.

Mora/Frost are still selling the #162, #163 and the #164. Complaints may be connected to sharpening technique.
Makes no difference what brand, the carving sharp edge is to be learned.

Also for the "crooked" knife, take a look at the farrier's hoof or hook knife such as the Mora #171 and #188.
I use them both in my own handles. I use the Ukal/Supervet (France) knife, the Diamond (Taiwan) #271 and the
Hall (Canada), all of them in left and right pairs.

My point is that there is a lifetime of carving steel left in the knives that farriers consider to be worn out.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Keep it affordable and go for the clipper/companion Mora and one of their crook knives. With a little fettling their crook knives can be made very nice and the knives work as well as stuff 20 times the cost. Especially the Mora 106, such a great little knife and only £17.

You can always use a carpenters gouge chisel to hollow out bowls if you don't want a crook knife and they can be had for a few quid on auction sites. They are longer but can still be used in the hand without a table or vice etc. And you can cut one down and just glue it into a wooden handle if you wanted to! ;)

Saying that, I've got loooads of stuff for carving, even one of those fancy flex cut sets and yet keeping it simple like 1 knife and 1 hollowing tool is my favourite way to make a mess. If you're stuck beyond what you can find here as for advice I can show you a few tools I have to trade that may be of use. But I honestly still think keeping it affordable and simple is the best and most enjoyable way to go.

No pictures in this thread.. time to fix that!

Mora 106. Great little knfie as I said, laminated steel that stays sharp and cuts really clean.

Random gouges. I have dozens and buy them from buckets at markets and in tool lots online. Cheap as chips and work great, just don't cut a vintage Marples one in half cuz you'll make the collectors cry lol

flex cut. Expensive but nice for sitting at a table and getting a range of shapes done.

Ben Orford crook knife and simple opinel. Crook knife is good, plenty other makers out there for the same or similar price that are as good, better, worse and all that, I just went for what looked good! Opinels cut like a mother in laws hiss, cheap as a date in Weston super mare too.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

My point is that there is a lifetime of carving steel left in the knives that farriers consider to be worn out.

Very true!
Waste of good steel.
In Norway some tradesmen don't even sharpen their craft Mora , they just chuck them and get a new one as it's less hassle than sharpening 😱😒
What a waste.

Shapes and variations in sizes are interesting actually.
I prefer a longer handle on a crook knife as it allows for more leverage and more grips...each to their own.
But the PacNW styles look very comfortable and "natural"

Yet to use a real "Mocco"...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE