Carving Love Spoons from old sycamore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushmatt

Apr 26, 2012
Gloucestershire
Evening all

I was given a lovely straight branch from a sycamore my dad was chopping down in the garden, its a good size about 20cm in diameter and in good condition.

It's been off the tree quite a while though and has completely dried out.

Am I likely to hit problems trying to carve a lovespoon from it? Most of what I have read talks about using a greener piece?

TIA

Matt

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
As it seasons it gets harder to carve, it is also less likely to split. It is perfectly doable but you will have to put more physical effort in and probably get bigger blisters. Make sure your tools are sharp and be wary of the blades 'slipping' on the wood surface more often.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
As it seasons it gets harder to carve, it is also less likely to split. It is perfectly doable but you will have to put more physical effort in and probably get bigger blisters. Make sure your tools are sharp and be wary of the blades 'slipping' on the wood surface more often.

I was going to say the same thing. Take your time and I would like to see your love spoon when it is done. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE