Carving A Spoon Blank

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive had a couple of people ask how i carve my spoon blanks out with the axe, below is a video that i made a little while ago and recently reuploaded to my YT Channel that may help. It may not be the best way, or the right way in the eyes of some, but it works for me.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I noticed the way you instinctively choked up on the axe as you got close to your other hand and when you needed more controlled cuts from the power cuts you had been making, this speaks volumes to me. You know what you want to produce and just how to use the tool to make it happen. Blow any ideas of if it is "the right or wrong way" it is a very safe and economic way of working.
Cool video, thank you.
Rob.

Reactions: Kepis

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Great vid, its so satisfying how a bit of practiced skill makes a relatively straightforward job look (and feel) completely effortless! I carved my first spoon in ages last night, looking forward to getting back into it to make a few as gifts and this was great motivation.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's been a really useful, informative film - many thanks for posting.

I noticed that you do not us the natural curvature of the piece of wood for the bowl of the spoon. I was wondering why that was? I was lead to believe that if you cut across the grain of the wood, you weaken it; as a result, I have always 'followed the grain' when carving the bowls of spoons, often using the wood to define the shape of the bowl. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this and, in the meantime, I might try roughing things out in the way you demonstrate.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's been a really useful, informative film - many thanks for posting.

I noticed that you do not us the natural curvature of the piece of wood for the bowl of the spoon. I was wondering why that was? I was lead to believe that if you cut across the grain of the wood, you weaken it; as a result, I have always 'followed the grain' when carving the bowls of spoons, often using the wood to define the shape of the bowl. I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this and, in the meantime, I might try roughing things out in the way you demonstrate.

I do carve natural crooks and the like, but I also really like carving straight /radially split wood, yes you end up with end grain in the lip of the bowl, but ive used an end grain eating and cooking spoons for ages and not had any chip out, way i figure it is im not digging holes with my spoons, just eating my dinner and there is not a great deal of stress on the bowl lip.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
... I'm not digging holes with my spoons, just eating my dinner and there is not a great deal of stress on the bowl lip.

Good point! I'm going to give it a try; after all, there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Thanks for your thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE