Carving a Kuksa

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Perhaps foolishly for my fingers, hands and the local A&E, I have this idea of carving a kuksa.
Does anyone who has made a kuksa have a guide to making one? I have had a rummage about and can't see a guide / demo.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
The only advice I give is to carve the wood as in the diagram use the outer wood of the tree as the rim this will apparently stop the rim splitting or the whole kuska/bowl going oval as the wood dries out further when you bring it inside

Kuska.jpg

hope this helps

J*

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i should like to start by pointing out i have never made one of these, but i remember a tutorial on how to make one, possibly on britblades.

take a burl, carve the outside to the required shape. dig/carve a small hole in the part that you will excavate in order to make a bowl. soak in brine. take a pair of pliers and start pulling fibers out. continue soaking and pulling till the bowl depression is deep enough. soak still in brine, then sand down any rough patches, soak and sand repeatedly untill no rough patches. allow to dry, soak in oil to waterproof. (seem to recall it was parafin!!)

al the best
sc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE