Carvers Block

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Carvers block, a bit like writers block, ive hit the wall and run out of carving ideas, ideally looking for quick projects other than spoons, spatulas and cups, ive started some wood spirits following Neils recent post, but still looking for inspiration, what can the collective mind suggest?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Small serving bowls, both shallow and deep!
Great for nuts and such!

Of course, if you have strong hands, you can do large bowls too.

Handcarved things look so much better than turned! More soul!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Beyond spoons, I turned to very large, 3-tine forks = thick wooden rods with long fangs at one end.
When you stir liquids like soups, stews, sauces and boiling rice, with a BIG fork, there is no splashing.

Best for a salad and even pulled pork? Carve pairs of "bear claws." They require more in the way of wood slabs.
Lots of surface area for carved decorative patterns.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about fence post toppers ?
Sounds kind of weird, but my Dad used to whittle them, and my brother did the ends of my curtain poles. Thistles, squirrels, acanthus things, curled up cats and fat puddocks.

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
14817171452_da61ef77e5_z.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It happens to me sometimes. I get round it by drawing shapes, in different ways (eg blindfolded, using left hand, left and right hands together, using natural objects like pebbles and branches as suggestions for forms and templates) Sometimes nothing more than a simple line can spark a creative idea. Boat builders know when the form is fair.....
Look at photos of old pottery such as neolithic or mediaeval german, or better still English.... HUGE varieties of the same basic forms. Then you could consider drastic changes by using texture/color on carved items. Or consider doing a BIG carving. Or simply do a copy of a carved thing you like that was made by someone else, or try doing a carving in an unfamiliar style. Clothes hooks, spades/shovels (those are great to do...!) Mini canoes, pike lures.....name plates, house signs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE