Carrying an axe in the UK - In sight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
If it is easier to carry your Axe on the outside of your rucksack then do it, If you need an Axe to chop wood, make a shelter etc, then there is an exception in Law that allows you to carry one, If you are going camping you would need to carry TOOLS to ease your journey and experience.
The same thing with a shovel, or a staff, walking stick all could be considered weapons if used in a particular way, someone commented they keep the Axe in a place they can get at it easily for self protection, NEVER NEVER use that as an explanation if stopped by the Police, as this would probably lead to you being arrested and probably jailed. You never carry or admit to be carrying any implement for self protection in this country.
The Law is there to guide you and if you are within the Law you have nothing to fear, if stopped by the Police a lot will depend on your demeanour, and most Police Constables will advise you if they think having it on show may cause problems, then take their advice.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
someone commented they keep the Axe in a place they can get at it easily for self protection, NEVER NEVER use that as an explanation if stopped by the Police, as this would probably lead to you being arrested and probably jailed.

That person also said they don't live in the UK any more.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My 2p.

If you have land owner permission to cut wood in the woods you are headed to, and have other kit suitable for working in the woods, or setting up camp if that is what you are doing, then you should be able to carry the axe lashed to the outside of the pack, and if asked, you have reasons that can withstand scrutiny.

If you are out in the country and so attired, you could carry the axe in your hand and still have all the legal cover and support needed. Walking through town with an axe in hand might cause more questions, but if you have pack full of gear and the axe doesn't fit, you should still be covered, legally speaking.

If you do not have permission to cut wood in the woods, and lets say they are near town and frequented by many people, then you might have more problems. If reported by one of the many self righteous walkers out there as "man skulking in wood near paths with an axe" I would expect problems with the police. While you might say that you are going to chop wood, without permission that reason is not entirely legitimate and it will be much more down to the officer you talk to on the day deciding whether you are an idiot admitting you are off to commit vandalism/timber theft, or are carrying the other kit as camouflage for mugging, assault or murder.

Chris

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If the last paragraph above applies about no permission then am I right in saying the police officer, in the UK, has the legal right to confiscate on his judgment as part of whatever action he takes. It is likely then to be up to the individual to claim the tool back under whatever official system we applies. Also, the likely outcome of any confiscation is the axe going missing in the system or destroyed. A cynical me would think if the tool is a good one some police officer with a need or want for such a tool (I bet some like to play out in a bushcraft activity too) might obtain it for himself.

I've heard stories of confiscations being contested later but the tool having gone missing in the system. No idea how true they are like on any internet forum.;)

Having read all the excellent replies for which I thank you all. My axe will remain on the outside of my pack but what I am going to do I think is make a sleeve that slots over the handle to make it less obvious as to what it is. I see no harm in doing that, I'm still not trying to hide it but I'm also reducing the likelihood of a nosey passerby from recognising what it is and calling plod to say theres a raging axe murderer in the woods.

I'll post pictures later.

As a slight aside. On the matter of @C_Claycomb comment. I'm on Welsh Gov Access Land and I have contacted them to ask if it is acceptable to practice 'bushcraft' skills there. Their vague reply went along the lines of 'it's fine as long as you are sensible and legal and you are not in anyone's way'. I understood that to mean stay away from the paths and dont do anything silly like chop down a living tree and you'll be ok but we haven't got your back if anything goes wrong! That's good enough for me.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Having read all the excellent replies for which I thank you all. My axe will remain on the outside of my pack but what I am going to do I think is make a sleeve that slots over the handle to make it less obvious as to what it is. I see no harm in doing that, I'm still not trying to hide it but I'm also reducing the likelihood of a nosey passerby from recognising what it is and calling plod to say theres a raging axe murderer in the woods.

I'll post pictures later.

As a slight aside. On the matter of @C_Claycomb comment. I'm on Welsh Gov Access Land and I have contacted them to ask if it is acceptable to practice 'bushcraft' skills there. Their vague reply went along the lines of 'it's fine as long as you are sensible and legal and you are not in anyone's way'. I understood that to mean stay away from the paths and dont do anything silly like chop down a living tree and you'll be ok but we haven't got your back if anything goes wrong! That's good enough for me.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

We do a lot of training in Welsh Government forestry; it is part of NRW remit to enable recreational use of the forests. However, there are strict no open fires, no mechanised tools and no damage to the environment rules. We pay a fee for the year as an organisation but that gives us access to a lot of forestry. We also have to check with them to make sure anything we're doing doesn't conflict with other organised practices including any rallies, forestry operations, cycle events etc.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Mrs OLO suggests it now looks like a gun case instead

Shall take shots (no pun intended!) of it on pack later.
64e567dbcb9de31c8c6c839c0e0fbbea.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Reactions: Code 4

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
I think you're going to get fewer strange looks carrying an axe in public at the minute than you would coughing.

If it's properly attached to something and sheathed I can't see it being an issue if you've reason to carry it and the location isn't an issue. E.g Central London-No. Lake District - OK

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think you're going to get fewer strange looks carrying an axe in public at the minute than you would coughing.
Reminds me of the early COVID 19 days when I coughed into my elbow as we approached the Aldi checkout. People suddenly realised they'd forgotten something and the line disappeared. Once you might have had that response wearing cammo and carrying an axe on you pack there instead!!

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
If the last paragraph above applies about no permission then am I right in saying the police officer, in the UK, has the legal right to confiscate on his judgment as part of whatever action he takes. It is likely then to be up to the individual to claim the tool back under whatever official system we applies. Also, the likely outcome of any confiscation is the axe going missing in the system or destroyed. A cynical me would think if the tool is a good one some police officer with a need or want for such a tool (I bet some like to play out in a bushcraft activity too) might obtain it for himself.

I've heard stories of confiscations being contested later but the tool having gone missing in the system. No idea how true they are like on any internet forum.;)
That made me smile. I still have the folder I took of an idiot in London 35 years ago. Still use it in the garden. Always makes me smile. I have no legal right to it but I judged it was safer in my hands. Happy days. :cop:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
No further action possibly leads to similarly happy officers. Or am I being overly cynical? Having worked with a retired officer who did his time and was completely honest about his further colleagues I doubt I am. Nothing worse than an ex officer who left as soon as he became pension eligible with a poor view of his colleagues to spill the secrets.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have a Maxpedition torch holster attached to my Lowe Alpine and have no qualms carrying my GB Small Forest in it.

Not that I’m using the pack at the moment, but I couldn’t think of a better time to dissuade sheeple coming near me.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
We have very different legislation and customs but relative idiot density is probably about same. Still last year I watched, when in Lappland, a local walked into the bar with three knives on his belt and nobody noticed. And that belt was on top of his jacket so the knives were not hidden but then a lot of the locals wear them.

It depends on the local customs on top of the laws.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Discrete is best.
It's that idiot "acquaintance" that turns up, and if you leave your pack for a minute, will have you sharps out and waving them about whilst making martial art sounds.

Reactions: Orhdposs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE