carrying a bushcraft knife ?

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Hi everyone, this year im going to get out on a few lone 2-3 day trips, im going to be camping light with a tarp, i usualy carry a #8-4 opinel and a sog paratool with saw and V-cutter added, but ive just ordered a hultafors HK and HGK and fancy carry one of these, i mainly walk to camping places, so if placed in my backpack safely should i be ok , these will only come out when needed and while alone, thanks for any advice,

regards
paul

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You should be fine mate...out of site out of mind. You can also prove you're doing something that would require them. I could be wrong technically but that's exactly what I do and haven't had a problem yet. Have fun camping!

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
You should be fine mate...out of site out of mind. You can also prove you're doing something that would require them. I could be wrong technically but that's exactly what I do and haven't had a problem yet. Have fun camping!

Cheers mate, ive never worried about my SAK's or opinels as law wise are ok, and my sog paratool has non locking blades, ive never carried a fixed blade for trips but really wanted to try these out properly, thanks again

paul

i just got them through the post,
P1010067.jpg

Last edited:

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
This is true but i mainly carry the #4 for this reason, ill only carry a fixed blade when on a camping trip so will be in the middle of nowhere, i would back my fixed blade well at the bottom of my backpack,

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
You should be fine with a fixed blade in the circumstances you have outlined. I always keep mine packed in my bag until I'm at the area where I'm camping though - its just common sense

Once out in the sticks though, its on my belt. :)

HTH

Rat

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Cheers rat, this is what i do with a knife usualy as well, im not sure i will attach these sheaths to my belt though as they dont look as tough as leather sheats, i might atach it to my backpack on the waist strap though, thanks for the reply mate,

paul

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
You should be fine with a fixed blade in the circumstances you have outlined. I always keep mine packed in my bag until I'm at the area where I'm camping though - its just common sense

Once out in the sticks though, its on my belt. :)

HTH

Rat

This is exactly the case. It's not illegal to carry tools/objects with can be classed as offensive weapons if you have need for them and are in the right environment. You don't see builders getting stop for having a stanley knife.

I have been through London on the train, tube, bus, and on foot with a Small Forrester's Axe in my bag but completely hidden from view, knives are the same. In town you have no need and therefore no reason to have them visible or in use. Once you are at your site and in the correct environment you have a reason and a use.

It all comes down to common sense, but don't expect PC Plod to have ANY of that! If you have to explain why you have knife on you then you are already not showing common sense! If you were it would be out of view until you are in the right environment. Hence you don't see builders waving saws and chisels etc around off site.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
This is exactly the case. It's not illegal to carry tools/objects with can be classed as offensive weapons if you have need for them and are in the right environment. You don't see builders getting stop for having a stanley knife.

I have been through London on the train, tube, bus, and on foot with a Small Forrester's Axe in my bag but completely hidden from view, knives are the same. In town you have no need and therefore no reason to have them visible or in use. Once you are at your site and in the correct environment you have a reason and a use.

It all comes down to common sense, but don't expect PC Plod to have ANY of that! If you have to explain why you have knife on you then you are already not showing common sense! If you were it would be out of view until you are in the right environment. Hence you don't see builders waving saws and chisels etc around off site.

Thanks for the reply, as the knife will be hidden away till needed it sounds like ill be fine, ive carried a pocket knife since i was 10 years old and only ever get it out when i need it, these days though its gone so pc you get worried about laws etc, so keep it out of view untill needed , cheers guys,

im pretty much set now , just waiting on some slightly warmer weather as i want to use my tarp and carry light,

regards
paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE