Carrier bag charge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If anyone knows a good source of those bio bags, can they let me know?

I can get the small ones ok, but 20l and up either seem made expensive (20p each) or nonexistant

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You very quickly adjust - when it came in here I got a few of the big 50p woven bags from Tesco & Sainsburys and keep them in the car, they hold a great deal and are very strong. Disposables usually never even survived the trip from the till to the car, let alone into the house.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Bring back the empty Cardboard boxes. Who here can remember when the supermarkets used to just leave the empty boxes on a shelf at the checkout area.

My local Sainsbury's has removed the cardboard boxes from by the tills, as some moron who doesn't understand how to do a risk assessment decided they were a fire hazard... I mentioned this to the official Sainsbury's twitter account and they were shocked. At some point I will post them the letter of complaint I've been writing...

In the mean time, my plan is to get One of these tiny backpacks to live in my pocket for when I've forgotten to take a bag out with me. I might also get the shoulder bag version as well for when I want to do large shops...

J

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
returnable multiple reuse bags (bags for life) ??

Dont know about you but the last time i checked a (bag for life) is more expensive than 5p. I know things are grim for a lot of people but it just shows us all how out of touch the government and supermarkets are when they expect a double thick carrier bag will outlive a human being. ;)

I once left my ex girlfriends dog tied to a pole when i went for a newspaper. I completely forgot about it until i got home and my ex asked what i had done with her tibetan spaniel so what chance does a Bag for life have. I think i have commitment issues. :)

10p in Tesco and with the bags for 'life' you take it back and they give you a free one in return if broken, the government and supermarkets are not out of touch, people are lol lol lol

We've had pretty much the same charge in Wales for a few years and it is helping keep the streets clean, lets hope it helps you guys and gals in England.

PS, how on earth do you forget a dog, any dog, certainly a Tibetan Spaniel... it truly beggars belief.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
People still use those self destructing pieces of instant polution in England?
In West Wales nearly everyone uses reusable bags (not wanting to spend extra on a disposable bag) ... and then have to buy rolls of thin poly bags to line their wastebins (a job the old throw away ones were ideal for).... I see no reduction in the use of plastics overall....

charging for bags may be new but taking & reusing bags it's nothing new in my part of Scotland people have been doing it for at least 40 years now as a kid I used to get moderately annoyed at the older generation known as pensioners for taking ages faffing at the counter in front of me producing an endless flow of polly bags from various pockets secreted about their person... & probably even impatiently mocked them with phrases like "if your pockets weren't so full of polly bags you would have plenty of room in your pockets for your messages you silly old goat" ever since I started shopping in bulk as an adult & for many years now I've used the endless supply of cardboard boxes left piled up close to the tills in supermarkets for my messages & now that I am older & wiser I carry at least 3 or 4 reasonably large obligatory polly bags secreted about my person in various pockets... whos laughing now then?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Around here nearly every newsagents, pound shop, Charity shop etc has fold away nylon fabric shopping bags for sale for around a pound... they last forever - ish.
Personally I use a fold away Aldi daysack which just lives in the van - I like my shopping carried ergonomically, not in one hand aggravating my shoulder and back issues...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
You very quickly adjust - when it came in here I got a few of the big 50p woven bags from Tesco & Sainsburys and keep them in the car, they hold a great deal and are very strong. Disposables usually never even survived the trip from the till to the car, let alone into the house.

Yes the wife buys them... I think there great I use them for all my tools in my garage!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
10p in Tesco and with the bags for 'life' you take it back and they give you a free one in return if broken, the government and supermarkets are not out of touch, people are lol lol lol

We've had pretty much the same charge in Wales for a few years and it is helping keep the streets clean, lets hope it helps you guys and gals in England.

PS, how on earth do you forget a dog, any dog, certainly a Tibetan Spaniel... it truly beggars belief.

my wife told me of this I was surprised by this....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Were in Scotland, there are a lot less bags littering the streets now. We made a couple of bags from old tent nylon and use them or some ikea blue bags for car shopping. Most of the rubbish is composted by us or sent for recycling so we haven't had too much issue with bin bags etc.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Almost always have a rucksack.

Much quicker packing groceries, just go to lay your shopping out in order on the convey belt... robust stuff first to the more crushable. Then everything can go in directly after its been scanned.

But occasionally get an unhelpful cashier who hands you the bread first, and messes up the efficiency. :aargh4:

And yes, a bit OCD. :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most stores here recycle cardboard = there's good money in it.

There are just less than 400 liquor stores, gov't owned, in British Columbia.
About 2(?) years ago, the gov't decided to buy cardboard compactors from Sweden, one for every liquor store.
The capital cost of those machines was recovered from the cardboard crushed in the first 30 days.

Most stores still offer the thin plastic bags, some have a visible charge, some don't.
I've got into the habit of bringing cloth carry-bags. Disorganized heap in the back seat of my Suburban.
The village expects kitchen garbage to be adequately bagged. A box of 100 bin bags doesn't break my bank.

As I have mentioned, I heat my home with a wood pellet stove. Buying a ton (2,000lbs) at a time, they arrive
as 50 x 40lb heavy duty plastic bags, triple-wrapped in plastic shrouds and sitting on a brand new freight pallet.
By the time that I shut down the stove for the last time in spring, I am the proud owner of 5 pallets, 5 shrouds
and 250 heavy duty plastic bags.

Me and maybe 50 other pellet stove users in a village of maybe 200 homes. Hard to come up with novel
uses other than house rubbish. I put legs on the pallets for garden tables and benches but that's about to end.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Were in Scotland, there are a lot less bags littering the streets now. We made a couple of bags from old tent nylon and use them or some ikea blue bags for car shopping. Most of the rubbish is composted by us or sent for recycling so we haven't had too much issue with bin bags etc.

What a load of Crap As has already been said on here there is no reduction in the use of plastics etc in today's world going to land fill we are using more than ever before I personalty am taught & trained & even encouraged to use loads more than is absolutely necessary & can even be prosecuted & possibly even incarcerated for not using enough "disposable plastics" & use quite literally tons of "disposable plastic" in my every day job...

Here's a thought... Isn't it possible that's just the council being more pro active with street cleaning? I am noticing more & more pedestrian controlled street cleaning vehicles & small mechanical ride on machines doing their rounds & I also see an abundance of litter pickers on my way to work patrolling our streets...

We are all Guilty...
By wanting allowing & actively encouraging our elderly to live good quality worth while life's well in to old age... As we are all living much much longer now we have more elderly people requiring tons of plastic to be used on their behalf... As we care for their day to day needs Keeping them alive.
As a care assistant, with political correctness & over the top infection control we are using more disposable plastic products than ever before. Example plastic aprons for "protected meal times" & more for "personal care" not all necessary in every instance all going to land fill... in care every adult used continence control product has to be "double bagged" because the bags are so thin & for pc... & also prior to it's use all this plastic comes wrapped up in more plastic.

So let me ask you That being said how many of you now think paying 5p for a plastic bag will make a one damn bit of difference in the grand scale of things .

Not a personal dig at JohnC just subject matter of plastic & litter

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Almost always have a rucksack.

Much quicker packing groceries, just go to lay your shopping out in order on the convey belt... robust stuff first to the more crushable. Then everything can go in directly after its been scanned.

But occasionally get an unhelpful cashier who hands you the bread first, and messes up the efficiency. :aargh4:

And yes, a bit OCD. :)
Is that you long lost twin.? you just described me in a nut shell right down to the cashier messing with your chi. :lmao:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I recycle as much as I can here (Cornish recycling is lacklustre)

And you know what goes in my bin? (Lined with a bag I have to buy...) unrecycleable plastic packaging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE