Carp problems abrewing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
But why don't you eat the fish? I still don't get that bit....:D

More often than not it is because the angling license does not permit you to keep fish. For example, in my Town Permit: "Section 12: All fish must be returned to the water alive. Any person found removing fish is liable to prosecution."

I think the reasoning is that if everyone took the fish home to eat, there would be none left.

Geoff

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hopefully we will meet on a river, or under a tree, and share a meal (tho not fish please!) and you can explain more to me about your fishy sport!
But why don't you eat the fish? I still don't get that bit....:D

I personally dont eat UK coarse fish because they taste muddy, although i have eaten Perch, Pike, Zander & Sturgeon overseas, i even went as far as eating Nile Perch when i was in Ethiopia, i do eat Brown Trout & Salmon though, but not the farmed fish, they gotta be wildies, can't beat a freshly caught Brown Trout pan fried in butter for breakfast:D :D :D .

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
As one of our Canadian members mentioned, we have lots of them over here, by all means send your EEC folks over here to fish for them, they certainly do damage our natural habitat. And they grow absolutely huge in size. It may sound like another tall fishing tale, but I fish in the wintertime at the warm outflow of a nuclear power plant, in a 12 foot aluminum boat with my fishing buddy. We have seen carp 1/2 the length of our boat swimming in the water just under our boat...quite unnerving...also could never get used to it's third eye looking at me as it swam by... :)
Cheers
Alex

The fact that they can breathe on the land, and wink at me is what freaks me out.

Bloody Lake Erie fish...

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I can totally see that fishing is a good sport. I wouldn't personally go coarse fishing, as I only really want to catch living things that I will eat - but if people want to pay 100's for carbon-fibre rods and all the kit to catch a carp and release it again on a sunny outdoors day, all the best to them. It sure beats sitting in a pub watching football.

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Oz... good to meet you! Where you from in Ontario? I presently live in Mississauga, but have spent most of the last 30 years in N. Ont. fishing, hiking,bushcrafting etc...
Nice forum name. You wouldn't happen to be Ojibway/Anishinabe?
Cheers
Alex

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
speaking as an angler ,i think the problem with polish taking carp isnt about the depleation of fish stocks but about the fact that angling clubs actually buy these huge fish to stock their waters,did yoy guys know that carp are damned expensive? a 20lb carp costs £1000.00 and a 30lb er costs £3000.00! if the poles helped themselves to s sheep worth £50.00 thered be an out cry!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Interesting thread and may I add my 2 pence worth as a canoeist, kayaker, hunter, shooter and fisher.

During the 90's I staunchly defended hunting. Foxes do not enjoy being hunted, the point here is that quite often the fox is considerably ahead of the pack and will watch the pack, clean itself etc before moving on. I defended hunting based on (a) Its selective - a particular rogue lamb killer can be hunted by bringing hounds onto the farm shortly after a lamb kill and hunt that specific fox. (b) It also supports natural selection.(c) Hunters are staunch conservationists for their quarry and its habitat (d) the ban took away my right to take my lurcher across the fields and catch a hare for my dinner.(e) Hunting does not leave wounded animals.

SOME anglers certainly can be abusive to kayakers - I have had stones thrown at me - in their swim!!!????? despite in being proven that 70ft narrowboats stir up the bottom and can improve the fishing. Anglers do leave litter and snagged tackle. I have a great collection of pike floats, lures etc that I have retrieved whilst kayaking - great, saves me paying for them.

MOST anglers are the eyes and ears of the water ways and they deeply respect their quarry.

There is good and bad in every pastime/sport.
Its very difficult to take the moral high ground. Most of our hobbies damage the natural world in some shape or form.

Eating carp/freshwater fish - in moderation and with respect.

Do swans taste good? ask a fen tiger,

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
What is the world coming to when someone comes onto an internet forum with a reasonable and thoughtful viewpoint!!! It'll never catch on I tell you.:D

Interesting thread and may I add my 2 pence worth as a canoeist, kayaker, hunter, shooter and fisher.

During the 90's I staunchly defended hunting. Foxes do not enjoy being hunted, the point here is that quite often the fox is considerably ahead of the pack and will watch the pack, clean itself etc before moving on. I defended hunting based on (a) Its selective - a particular rogue lamb killer can be hunted by bringing hounds onto the farm shortly after a lamb kill and hunt that specific fox. (b) It also supports natural selection.(c) Hunters are staunch conservationists for their quarry and its habitat (d) the ban took away my right to take my lurcher across the fields and catch a hare for my dinner.(e) Hunting does not leave wounded animals.

SOME anglers certainly can be abusive to kayakers - I have had stones thrown at me - in their swim!!!????? despite in being proven that 70ft narrowboats stir up the bottom and can improve the fishing. Anglers do leave litter and snagged tackle. I have a great collection of pike floats, lures etc that I have retrieved whilst kayaking - great, saves me paying for them.

MOST anglers are the eyes and ears of the water ways and they deeply respect their quarry.

Its very difficult to take the moral high ground. Most of our hobbies damage the natural world in some shape or form.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yes but for sheep worth £50 they'd need and artic lorry to move them with presnt prices!

If you want some big carp let me know I know where I can catch some that don't belong to anyone.

I think you will find that under riparian law, the fish in any water course belong to the landowner where the river / pond / lake is located.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...

I like the way this thread is twisting....I agree with most of that K but I do not (sorry, did not) support fox hunting, to me it seems cruel. I did however think it was not for the government to ban. It was nowt to do with them. Same with fishing, let it run itself. As a wildlife lover I hate to see all the birds nests of monofilament in and around waterways, but education can help in that..If anglers just used leaders (traces) of lesser breaking strain than the main line, it would mean less line is left lying around if an angler gets his (her) hook snagged...

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Jon,
We could write a book on 'cruelty' and still leave more questions than answers. I am now really enjoying predator fishing again, but is it any less cruel than hare coursing?
Predator Fishing;
(a) Pike becomes impaled onto large hooks in some delicate areas of mouth, throat, gills and then has to pull against considerable strain of the anglers rod and line.
(b) The above could happen whilst the pike is mid-digestion of a large meal or high water temperature, both putting strain on the fishes oxygen intake.
(c) Pike is landed and taken into alien environment where it cannot breathe.
(d) Pike is handled and external damage could result.
(e) The fact that the pike is retuned and not killed matters little - the stress and 'cruelty' is in the catching, landing and unhooking. That said, I have caught the same pike twice within a few minutes.
Hare Coursing
(a) Hare is put up and given fair law (head start) by slipper.
(b) Hare is chased by a pair of running dogs that will have either great speed, great turning ability, great stamina but rarely all three. The hare has all three.
(c) The hare is caught and killed - sometimes it can take a minute depending on the dogs killing instinct.
(d) Or the VERY FIT hare (and most hares are very fit) lives to run another day and hopefully breed more supreme atheletes.Interestingly hares have been filmed feeding, grooming and frolicking shortly after being coursed.
(e) On Estates where hare coursing did not take place the hares are usually shot at night with shotguns or .22 rifles - NO SELECTION and WOUNDED HARES.

Of course there is more to it than that but surprisingly of all the fieldsports that I have participated in - and thats most - hare coursing was one that dented my morality the least, even when compared to deerstalking.

I choose to fish, I love pitting my wits against the quarry, I love being in the great outdoors and I fully take on board the responsibilty of the effects of my actions.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
As one of our Canadian members mentioned, we have lots of them over here, by all means send your EEC folks over here to fish for them, they certainly do damage our natural habitat. And they grow absolutely huge in size. It may sound like another tall fishing tale, but I fish in the wintertime at the warm outflow of a nuclear power plant, in a 12 foot aluminum boat with my fishing buddy. We have seen carp 1/2 the length of our boat swimming in the water just under our boat...quite unnerving...also could never get used to it's third eye looking at me as it swam by... :)
Cheers
Alex

Carp + Koi Carp grow larger in warm water. Thats why they're the size they are as for the third eye, thats obvious

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I think you will find that under riparian law, the fish in any water course belong to the landowner where the river / pond / lake is located.

Nope! The general rule is that, whilst living, fish are considered to be ferae naturae (wild animals) and therefore not in anyone's ownership. The law is a bit complicated and can be subject to interpretation. The carp in your garden pond, for example, cannot swim away and are therefore not deemed ferae naturae. Riparian ownership is, however, much clearer. I may not own the salmon in the river, but if you come come poaching on the stretch over which I have riparian rights or ownership, you'll be up before the beak.

Burnt Ash

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Jon,
We could write a book on 'cruelty' and still leave more questions than answers. I am now really enjoying predator fishing again, but is it any less cruel than hare coursing?
Predator Fishing;
(a) Pike becomes impaled onto large hooks in some delicate areas of mouth, throat, gills and then has to pull against considerable strain of the anglers rod and line.
(b) The above could happen whilst the pike is mid-digestion of a large meal or high water temperature, both putting strain on the fishes oxygen intake.
(c) Pike is landed and taken into alien environment where it cannot breathe.
(d) Pike is handled and external damage could result.
(e) The fact that the pike is retuned and not killed matters little - the stress and 'cruelty' is in the catching, landing and unhooking. That said, I have caught the same pike twice within a few minutes.
Hare Coursing
(a) Hare is put up and given fair law (head start) by slipper.
(b) Hare is chased by a pair of running dogs that will have either great speed, great turning ability, great stamina but rarely all three. The hare has all three.
(c) The hare is caught and killed - sometimes it can take a minute depending on the dogs killing instinct.
(d) Or the VERY FIT hare (and most hares are very fit) lives to run another day and hopefully breed more supreme atheletes.Interestingly hares have been filmed feeding, grooming and frolicking shortly after being coursed.
(e) On Estates where hare coursing did not take place the hares are usually shot at night with shotguns or .22 rifles - NO SELECTION and WOUNDED HARES.

Of course there is more to it than that but surprisingly of all the fieldsports that I have participated in - and thats most - hare coursing was one that dented my morality the least, even when compared to deerstalking.

I choose to fish, I love pitting my wits against the quarry, I love being in the great outdoors and I fully take on board the responsibilty of the effects of my actions.

Nicely put and full respect to you for having some understanding about what you are doing in your sport, I bet it makes you better at it than someone who does not care...
I have always understood that fish, being cold blooded do not feel pain, a bit like if you accidently chop off a frogs leg while strimming or mowing, it will still just sit there as if nothing has happened...(Please don't try this at home btw)...
Like you say we could write a book on it and still get nowhere, we simply do not know what goes on inside a creatures head...
Out of interest, what are your thoughts on barbless hooks...? Do you use them for your pike fishing..? I remember, as a kid, going pike fishing with a 3 piece pike plug and catching a huge chub and having real problems getting the hooks out because they had barbs...

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Our local Tesco's has Carp & Bream on the slab, would rather people (of whatever nationality) bought these commercially farmed fish for the plate than go and poach lakes & ponds for them.

I'd rather they caught them in lakes and ponds. Commercially farms fish tends to cause huge enviromental damage in production. Although, I'm against any fish in ponds/etc that needs to be stocked/fed by humans.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'd rather they caught them in lakes and ponds. Commercially farms fish tends to cause huge enviromental damage in production. Although, I'm against any fish in ponds/etc that needs to be stocked/fed by humans.

I would rather see them buy their fish from Tesco's rather than STEAL them from lakes/ponds and rivers, but that's just my viewpoint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE