Carp problems abrewing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Interesting and useless fact. There were carp on sale at the fishmongers in Oxford market this morning.

Geoff

Our local Tesco's has Carp & Bream on the slab, would rather people (of whatever nationality) bought these commercially farmed fish for the plate than go and poach lakes & ponds for them.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I don't know why we can't eat swan. We eat goose and duck. Apparently it's only because it tastes fishy. The idea that the queen `owns` the swans is quite frankly pointless. they own themselves :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This may or may not be true, but my daughter pointed this out to me a couple of days ago. I'd always assumed that the Monarch owned all swans.

"It's not strictly true that the Queen owns all swans in Britain. The Swan Upping ceremony which takes place every July takes a head-count of all the mute swans on the Thames and marks them for ownership either by the Crown or by the Vintners' and Dyers' Livery Companies, which were granted their rights of ownership by the Crown in the fifteenth century. Technically, the Crown owns all unmarked mute swans in open water, and the Queen only exercises her ownership rights on some stretches of the Thames and its tributaries. Other varieties of swan (Bewick's, Whooper etc.) aren't included in this. My theory as to why we don't eat swans is because they're too difficult to domesticate and the wild ones are too rare to kill."

Geoff

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Did'nt HFW say in the program that the Polish have a big Carp for christmas dinner.

I remember hearing about a bloke setting up a carp fishery in Poland, with the aim of offering fishing holidays abroad on the cheap, but he went bankrupt as the locals emptied the lake of the stocked carp and ate them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Swans meat is said to taste very fisy unless you keep it for awhile and grain feed the bird....the same as with Herring gulls
Not tried it myself...yet:D

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I have seen figures that say that more people go angling on a Saturday afternoon than go to a football match (figures of up to 3 million anglers in the UK) and, if we take a very simplistic view of society, I think that a very large number of anglers come from what would traditionally be 'the working class'. For any political party to come down against angling would be to risk alienating a large portion of the electorate.

Only 3 million? There were around 10 million smokers in the UK - did that stop the government banning it in public places?

I don't think they give a stuff what the electorate think.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mr Bear!
How can you say such things about our hard working, democratically elected representatives?
You only have to look at their record of caring, compassionate, level headed, sesative legislation and policies to see that they care deeply about the people they serve...Ay -right!
Do the words "lies" "cheating" "sleeze" "money grubbing" "Bast*rds" and similar, ring any bells?
If they want your vote they care deeply, if not it is **** you Jack!
Rant over:tapedshut

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Mr Bear!
How can you say such things about our hard working, democratically elected representatives?
You only have to look at their record of caring, compassionate, level headed, sesative legislation and policies to see that they care deeply about the people they serve...Ay -right!
Do the words "lies" "cheating" "sleeze" "money grubbing" "Bast*rds" and similar, ring any bells?
If they want your vote they care deeply, if not it is **** you Jack!
Rant over:tapedshut

IMHO, the fact that they want to be politicians should mean a ban on ever holding such a position. Let's vote for the Carp Party. Grass carp = Green, Mirror = both Tory and New Labour, Crucian = Lib Dem, Common = MRLP

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cant see the Government banning angling, if they were thinking about it, why would they be investing in it?, i know this to be true because im personally involved in angling project where the Government has contributed approx £20k to the development of old overgrown & silted up ponds, it's also being introduced onto the curriculum at schools, this i also know to be true because every Friday afternoon a minibus of kids arrives at the above lakes and they fish for a couple of hours with the teachers.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Not being a fisherman myself, and for that matter, not eating a lot of fish either I did not realise that British fishermen did not eat the Carp they caught.
For what reason do they fish for them then?
Is it purely for the fun of jamming a hook into the mouth of a living creature, hauling it around by this hook for a few minutes then throwing it back to have another go?
I must be missing something here as that just sounds totally barbaric - worse than hunting foxes with hounds and foxes are a pest, not a carefully bred creature - but no one has become "fishing saboteurs" to my knowledge!
Can someone explain what it is that I am missing here - I am totally at a loss.:confused:

Hi John....As someone who spends time on the water, you are showing a lot of ignorance there. But you are right where you say "I must be missing something here"..The majority of carp anglers actually care for the fish in the waters, they treat them like babies when caught and gently release them, not throwing them back...If catching these fish is barbaric, how would anyone explain the carp I once caught 10 minutes after releasing it after first catching it. The fish didn't seem traumatised to me..
It is a thing called sport John. An entomologist would be horrified at us bushcrafters throwing dead wood onto a fire, but we love our hobby all the same. Carp anglers love their hobby, leave em be....
As stated there are more anglers in this country than football supporters. These guys are the eyes and ears of the river authoritys (along with canoe'ers etc) The rivers in this country would be in a real poor state if there were no anglers.
I don't tend to fish much these days, but I will always stand up for this gentle sport..

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nasty muddy things, same goes for trout.

But Anglers certainly (and more importantly, blatantly visibly) do a lot for the enviroment, theres ponds near here that would not exist if it wasnt for the anglers on them.

(and a lot of our older ponds are either ornamental, or monastic fishponds)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK Jon - I take your point.
But just to play Devils Advocate here Fox hunters (horse and Hound type) called their activity "Sport" and claimed that the fox even ENJOYED being hunted...and on another thread it is fishermen being blamed for loads of trash and abuse of the waterside...
These are not my comments but other peoples.
As to my ignorance of fishing practice, the rivers I generally paddle are mainly the realm of salmon/trout fishermen (the ones who around here seem to cut down trees and leave them to float down river and also shout abuse canoeists for the damage they cause) and I thought they eat their catch - or sell it to the local Hotels..
I have rarely come across Carp fishermen.
As I dislike most fish as a food I have to say that my ignorance has be based on disinterest, although I quite like Smoked Salmon and Sea Bass.
I am happier eating land mammals, despite knowing how badly they are often treated in their rearing by "The Guardians of the Countryside" AKA Farmers AKA Agribussinessmen.
I do however number some anglers and farmers amongst my friends....:)

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
As one of our Canadian members mentioned, we have lots of them over here, by all means send your EEC folks over here to fish for them, they certainly do damage our natural habitat. And they grow absolutely huge in size. It may sound like another tall fishing tale, but I fish in the wintertime at the warm outflow of a nuclear power plant, in a 12 foot aluminum boat with my fishing buddy. We have seen carp 1/2 the length of our boat swimming in the water just under our boat...quite unnerving...also could never get used to it's third eye looking at me as it swam by... :)
Cheers
Alex

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Here's a a thought John, as you live in Pembrokeshire, why not take a trip to Holgan Farm http://www.ian-heaps.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,74/ and see my old mate Ian Heaps, former World Champion, World five hour match record holder plus many other accolades, he has three lakes and a length of river just NW of Narberth and watch him and his customers fish, that way you will see just how much anglers care about the fish they catch and the environment they fish in, tell Ian The Judge sent you, he will know who i am.

I have come across many canoeists down in here in Sussex where i fish, and i have never seen or heard anyone shout abuse at them, in fact as fellow water users they respect our "sport" as we do theirs and they normally ask us where we would like them to paddle, so they dont disturb the fish, the best place nine times out of ten is right down the middle of the river btw, personally i can't see how a canoe can cause any damage to the waterway, i've also never been witness to any angler cutting down trees and letting them float away downstream, i have fished all over the UK and have never seen behaviour of this sort, but this might be a problem thats just local to you, probably wouldn't hurt to let the landowner know though, as i doubt he would be too happy about trees being felled without his knowledge.

On the subject of anglers being blamed for leaving rubbish, yes i agree, in some cases anglers leave rubbish behind, but the vast majority of us will collect any rubbish we see and take it home with us, even if it's not ours, unfortunately, and it is the same in any sport or pastime, a small minority give the rest a bad name.

Angling is a recognised sport, there are World & European Championships, England as a team, are highly succesfull in the World's and Euro's, More so than football that's for sure;) , the current world champ is English, he's now won it five times, and yes Wales has a world champ too in the form of Clive Branson who hails from Cardiff, Anglers genuinely care about their quarry and the environment, in fact nearly every angler i know carries a small bottle of antiseptic called Klinik, that's specially formulated for application to fish, if we catch a fish that has a cut or sore (which is normally caused by spawning), or in the rare instance we catch a diseased fish, we treat the fish and help it recover, it is recognised that not only anglers but all water users, and we all have the right to be there, are the first people to see and report pollution, fish kills and other aquatic disasters like algal blooms to the authorities.

Just my two pennths worth.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wish the fellows with rods in this area were as canoe friendly as they are around you.
A friend of mine had to call the police when he was threatened with violence by fisherfolk on my local river, and canoeists cars have been known to have been vandalized (not recently though).
Some of the best canoeing I have enjoyed has been on the Spey in Scotland where the rodsmen and canoeists seem to tolerate each other quite happily!
Hopefully we will meet on a river, or under a tree, and share a meal (tho not fish please!) and you can explain more to me about your fishy sport!
But why don't you eat the fish? I still don't get that bit....:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE