Carboot adze-head

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Hello all,

Today it is queensday in holland. This year that also meant the inauguration of a new king, but for me it meant the traditional carboot-sales. I went on a mission to find myself a kent pattern hatchet-head, but I haven`t seen a hatchet head all day. I did find myself this adze-type head for 2.5 GBP. It is rather large, and needs some love. I noticed that the bevel is on the inside on this head, while usually I see adzes with a bevel on the outside. Does anybody know more about this type of tool?

CRW_8130.jpg

CRW_8129.jpg

I haven`t found any makers mark on it.

Any comment on it is appreciated :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Bevel on the inside is actually quite common.

I think what you have there is a chair-maker's adze. Used for making the hollows on the seats of 'Windsor' chairs. Although they didn't often have a poll - that's something more often found on shipwright's adxes.

Very nice find. Cleaned up, edge reground and hafted you should be get £30-40 for it (probably more).

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Very nice find that, well done! Jealous as hell too, but I have an adze being made for me by Silverhill on the forum here so I'm happy to wait for that, I'm getting in next month (I hope).

What kind of size is that? The hammer head looks really tiny in proportion to the blade

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks for the info guys! I was well pleased with finding it. HEre is an image for scale, with my SFA and a mora 511.

2013-04-30+16.01.17.jpg

I will restore it as soon as I find time :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE