Carbon monoxide alarm positioning...

Sep 12, 2012
Oxfordshire
Hello all,

New to the site and need some advice so thought I'd ask the experts...

We've got a 4m bell tent and I've just bitten the bullet and got a frontier stove or added warmth now the nights are getting colder and shorter. I've got the lash kit etc but thought I'd get a CO alarm just to be safe...question is where's the best place for it? Above the stove? By our bedding?

All help gratefully received...

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, welcome and enjoy.

As to your to your question. I am no expert, but I would have thought that there was plenty of ventilation in your bell tent, and the flue would be outside the tent venting the CO safely outside. You could put the alarm near the stove as that is where the CO will come from.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Do not put it next to the stove as it will emitt small amounts of co as it starts up, wall of the tent above head height if sat in a chair in the tent, co emitted from the stove will be war, and rise, the detector needs to be place so as to trigger to give you enough time to wake up and vent out. But not so high as to be triggered by gas jut vent from the top. Imo

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
As CO2 builds from the ground up, the detector should be a fair way from the stove, but lower than the position of your head while sleeping.....
In other words, it should wake you BEFORE you start breathing the fumes, or you might never hear the alarm..... :(

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Carbon monoxide is lighter than air. On this basis the detector would be ideally positioned, in my opinion, slightly above head height when sat in your usual seat. That way you get an early warning when sat relaxing in your chair of an evening and an even earlier warning when asleep.
If your tent is anything like ours there are three mesh vents in the cone of the ceiling which would vent any carbon monoxide. I usually leave one of the "windows" on the lee side just cracked open too to aid with upward airflow :)
I have toyed with the idea of a detector myself to prove out whether the tent is well vented enough but given the positioning of the vents up aloft feel there is no potential problem.
Happy camping :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I just hang mine from the centre pole.
So long as it isn't directly above the potential source of CM then it should be fine.
They are designed to go off well before the levels get harmful so I don't think you quite need to tape it to your heeed :)

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Stuey's quite right - from Wikipedia...

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air. It is toxic to humans and animals when encountered in higher concentrations, although it is also produced in normal animal metabolism in low quantities, and is thought to have some normal biological functions. In the atmosphere it is short lived and spatially variable, since it combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and ozone.

For some reason, I always believed that CO, as in motor exhaust gases were heavier than air, and built up in enclosed spaces from the ground up...

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Hi Expat, your first post said CO2 which is heavier than air so your statement that is builds from the ground up is spot on! :)

I was going on the OP asking for positioning of a carbon monoxide (CO) monitor so suggested higher up for the lighter than air gas.

I'd not thought to look on wikipedia.. Was harking back to my analytical chemist days... Ah memories :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
2 different gases, very very basically in this case.

CO2 is Carbon dioxide will be given off as burn fossil fuels and is generally heavier than air.

CO is Carbon monoxide which is produced when there is not enough oxygen to produce Carbon dioxide and is slightly lighter than air.

In high doses both can kill, but in this case it's Carbon monoxide we are concerned about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE