Caraway seed cake

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Early valentine's day present for Tracy. Caraway seed cake, timed to come out of the oven just after she got in from work this evening. I am out for much of tomorrow, so it seemed right to do this today.

15900421053_a91cf5ce95_b.jpg

16333122640_816e8c6103_b.jpg

Traditionally the cake is served cold, with tea, and it is very good that way, but we like it best hot out of the oven, still steaming. I do it as a rich butter cake so it just melts when hot. Wonderful stuff.

Cream together 8oz sugar with 8oz butter (this is not a low fat cake!)
Then fold in 4 or 5 eggs, each with a spoon of self-raising flour. You need 8oz of flour.
Fold in any excess flour, with a pinch of salt and caraway seeds to taste. I like to use at least half a mug of seeds.
Put in a greased and lined baking tin and bake on gas 3 for 90 to 120 minutes. This one took 100.

I am told that the flavour improves with keeping, and it will keep for up to a fortnight or more, but I can never get one to last more than 48 hours. :rolleyes:

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Oh this sounds lovely. Do love some good rye bread so this should be damned tasty with fresh brew. May need to try this for a backwoods oven idea I have in mind

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Indeed. I'm going to give this one a try for my next outing this coming Friday. I'm heading out with my seven year old, Jake, and a fellow pastor and his son. Tea and cake in the woods on a crisp spring day will be fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.

Don't skimp on the seeds. The tendency is to worry about adding too much, but the flavour is not strong. If it ends up slightly crunchy, that is ok. Look at my pic - there are lots of seeds there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE