need some for hammock/tarp as never used them before

any good ones / also where from?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
good ones? imo any will do as your not using them for climbing. most aluminium carabiners have a breaking strength of between 20-30kn or in other words can hold 2-3 tons.

get the cheepest posable or seccond hand off ebay

pete

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
good ones? imo any will do as your not using them for climbing. most aluminium carabiners have a breaking strength of between 20-30kn or in other words can hold 2-3 tons.

Agreed, I've picked up various carabiners at various points. Since you're not planning to fall 50ft down a cliff on a length of rope using them, your fine so long as there are no visible defects.

Tobes

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Have a look at costswold rockbottom, usually a bargin or two to be had!

I'd even go as far as saying wire/snapgates, that is not screwgates will be ample and cheaper!

Drew

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Any one brought carabiners latley?

need some for hammock/tarp as never used them before

any good ones / also where from?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Hi,

Some good suggestions above. One thing I'd advise is to avoid any of those Chinese Karabiners / Carabiners that infest ebay. The sort of thing with a built in whistle or compass or not intended for climbing use. They're ok for cliping kit on packs etc but are not designed for any serious weight bearing so I'd avoid them for hamock use...

The cheapest bits around are Malions - they look like a link from a chain with a screw gate in them and will cost no more than a few pounds. They will last a lifetime and you can climb on them if you really wanted too (most small ones break around the 40kN mark so you can even tow your car with them...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE